Don’t worry, be happy and think cheerful thoughts

MCT
by Katie Parkinson

I was in a recent spirituality class when we took the Parade magazine “Happiness Quiz” by Colleen Oakley.

One of the questions was, ‘Which piece of happiness advice from a Disney movie is actually backed by scientific evidence?’

a) Look for the bare necessities – “The Jungle Book

b) Just say Hakuna Matata (no worries)! – “The Lion King

c) What do you do when things go wrong? Oh! You sing a song. – “Snow White

d) Think happy thoughts. – “Peter Pan

Anyone who guessed D is correct, and according to the quiz, just imagining yourself laughing can reduce sadness.

Throughout the day, I decided to think of happy things, and I actually found my mood elevating. So for anyone having a bad day, I compiled a list of the little things that bring joy to life.

1. Oreo balls: Let’s face it. Who doesn’t like Oreos? These rich treats of creamy, chocolatey goodness are like little slices of heaven and are regular staples at STA advisory parties.
  2. Music: According to a Penn State University study, no matter what kind of music you listen to, it can improve your mood. Now you have a scientific reason to jam out to your favorite tunes running through your head while you’re in the hallways or even in class.
  3. Compliments: According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary online, compliments are an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration, so if you’re having a rough day, it’s nice to remember that compliment your friend gave about your new shoes that morning, or the one your teacher gave you for improving on your last test.
  4. Real late starts: Although these don’t happen very often, when they do, it’s definitely an occasion to celebrate. Cherish these feelings of relief and the extra chance to sleep in!
  5. Internet GIFS: One of my favorite examples of internet GIFS that make my day are the ones on the lovely STA tumblr page. Done right, the combination of the short animations and the accompanying caption is something you can look back and laugh at days later.
  6. Consecutive green lights: When you’re late to school, or even when you’re not, consecutive green lights make life so much easier, faster, and less frustrating. An added bonus is that they just make you feel lucky in general.
  7. Smiles: It’s always nice when you pass someone in the hall, and they smile and say hi to you. For some reason it just spreads around the happiness.
  8. Randomly unblocked sites at STA: We all know the rush when a site is randomly unblocked on our netties. I’ve known people to jump up and down or do a fist pump. That extra opportunity to check Facebook, play bubble shooter, watch Netflix or shop on Wanelo is even more special since you know it won’t be happening again anytime soon.
  9. Puppies: Everyone likes puppies. Or they should.
  10. Grumpy cat memes: These are just really hilarious. In fact, I recently spent a period laughing hysterically in the back of the class with sophomores Libby Hyde and Christina Elias at some Valentine’s grumpy cat memes.

So next time you find yourself in a bad mood, think of the little things and cheer up!