St. Teresa’s Academy community members define art

Art can be a complicated subject. First of all, what constitutes as art? Is it a drawing? An idea? A part of nature? Where is art? How is it expressed? These members of the STA community, who may or may not consider themselves art gurus, attempt to explain what art means to them.

Mary Montag, science teacher

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

Why yes I do.

2. What is art to you?

To me art is an expression of oneself.

3. Where do you encounter art?

Of course in expected places such as studios, galleries, but also in nature, in music, poetry, writing, etc

4. How do you express your creative side?

Cooking, quilting, teaching, photography, knitting and arts and crafts

5. Anything else you’d like to add about art.

I sometimes think we spend so much time trying to explain and categorize and understand art rather than just experiencing it. The world would be so bland without art.

Robin Good, theology teacher

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

Creative yes [but] artistic no

2. What is art to you?

Beauty can be seen anywhere and in many forms.

3. Where do you encounter art?

In nature, in people [and] in things

In creating environments at home and at school. We joke at home [that] my husband is a great cook, but I make it look pretty.

5. What in your life (perhaps activities/hobbies/etc.) is an expression of art?

I love to cross stitch. I make appliquéd Christmas stockings for family members, listen to music [and] look up and down when I walk. I see lots of interesting things in nature.

Nan Bone, school president

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

If you are using the term artist as a person gifted in painting, sculpting, drawing, etc. than ‘¦.NO

2. What is art to you?

I think art is many things. You asked me if I consider myself an artist and I said ‘no’ but I do think sometimes I have a gift for visioning. I like to picture in my head what ‘could be.’

3. Where do you encounter art?

I encounter art in people. I like the many faces and interesting characteristics of people and the creative ideas they can bring to a project.

I use my creative side almost everyday. I work with our marketing director to explore different ways we can create information to tell the story of STA. I like exploring the different ways we can create events to bring people back on campus. I’m excited about the possibility of a new fourth building and how it will add to the beauty of this campus. What will it look like? How will it benefit our young women?

I’m an outdoor person. I like to ride my bike on the weekends and play tennis with my friends. This time of year is the best time to enjoy those hobbies and take in the beauty of nature around me.

6. Anything else you’d like to add about art.

I think the Dart is an great example of art. [The staff includes] great young writers using their artistic gifts to tell a story.

Regan Stiles, freshman

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

I do consider myself an artist.

2. What is art to you?

Art is any form of a creation or talent accomplished and by a human being whether it is dancing, singing, showing kindness, creating a science project [or] running.

3. Where do you encounter art?

To me, art is everything. I mostly encounter it when I am in the presence of God.

I express art by performing dances, smiling to people who look like they need some cheering up and playing instruments.

5. What in your life is an expression of art?

My family is by far an expression of art in my life. Music is in our house nonstop. If there is no music in our house, then there’s no existence of our true family. We come together when we’re upset or hurt by God and follow His example by making positive situations into good [ones], whether my dad gets hit by a deer or I need help on a difficult project. Yes, we get into many fights and tears but music is the art that begins us together which makes us an expression of art

Sarah Vickery, freshman

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

Probably not. I don’t really think about myself being an artist.

2. What is art to you?

Art is everywhere

3. Where do you encounter art?

Nature, museums

My mom and dad make fun of me because I turn everything into an art project, like making cupcakes or cards…I go all out.

Drawing class

Diana Blessen, math teacher

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

No, not really.

2. What is art to you?

Art is not just a work on a canvas! It’s so much more than that. I see it in nature, in the way people decorate their house [or] the way they dress. Sometimes it’s a piece of writing, a flower arrangement, songs, a window display, jewelry…

3. Where do you encounter art?

If you think about it and look for it, it’s everywhere!

I do a lot of journaling, I used to do scrapbooks and it may sound silly, but I have this “white board” in the kitchen that I decorate with the week’s menu. (If you could call that art-ha!)

I can’t think of anything else…sorry! During the school year, I’m too busy for most hobbies!

Kelsie Fiss, senior

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

Sure, yes of course.

2. What is art to you?

That’s a really hard question. Art should be a lot of different things…It’s your creative interpretation of something you see in everyday life. It can be as simple as a creative way of painting something or how to arrange something.

3. Where do you encounter art?

School, art museums, at my house. My mom, brother and I all do art stuff. It can also be in the way you look at things around you.

Portfolio class. I’m able to come up with ideas and it all comes out [in the work]. It’s kind of like my expression coming out.

Portfolio class, art projects, coloring

6. Anything to add about art?

The main philosophy I go by in my artwork is that sometimes the most beautiful work of art you make comes out of mistakes. You kind of just have to go with it.

Richard Shrock, history teacher

1. Do you consider yourself an artist?

No

2. What is art to you?

It’s complicated. It’s something created. [It is] a product of someone’s creativity, but it has to be substantive material that you can witness in some way [whether] reading or seeing it. It can’t just be in your head.

3. How do you express your creative side?

I try to incorporate creative [and] interesting stuff into the curriculum. I don’t really have time [for art]. I draw or play music. It’s bad stuff, but it’s still fun. And [my kids] think I’m really good [at drawing].

4. What in your life is an expression of art?

More conventional stuff, like drawing and playing music.