2013 TV preview

MCT
by Madeline Best

With a new year comes a new television lineup filled with shows that will entertain you for the next 365 days to come. The new TV of 2013 offers a little something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a high school drama to replace the empty void left from Gossip Girl or a fictional comedy about the first family you’re in luck.

1600 Penn

Air Date: January 10th

Channel: NBC

Starring: Josh Gad, Bill Pullman, Jenna Elfman and Martha MacIsaac

Synopsis: Following the lives of the fictional first family the Gilchrists, this show centers on the President of the United States and the problems that his children, especially his son Skip, run into.

For the Fans Of: Modern Family

The Carrie Diaries

Air Date: January 14th

Channel: The CW

Starring: AnnaSophia Robb and Austin Butler

Synopsis: Set in 1984, The Carrie Diaries serves as the prequel to the hit television show “Sex and the City”. The show centers on Carrie Bradshaw, a 16 year-old girl living in Connecticut who lands an internship in New York City. In the city, Carrie makes new friends all while trying to make a name for herself.

For Fans Of: Gossip Girl

The Taste

Air Date: January 22nd

Channel: ABC

Starring: Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludovic Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey

Synopsis: Sixteen chefs compete in cooking challenges leading to a weekly elimination. The contestants are split into four groups, which are each mentored by one of the show’s judges.

For the Fans Of: Chopped

Buckwild

Air Date: January 3rd

Channel: MTV

Starring: young adults of Sissonville, West Virginia

Synopsis: Set in West Virginia, this reality show follows the lives of nine friends just out of high school. The show centers on the wild and crazy antics the group of friends find themselves in. From turning trucks into pools and “mudding” this group finds new ways to have fun out in country.

For the Fans Of: Jersey Shore, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

Arrested Development (Netflix season)

Air Date: to be determined

Channel: exclusively on Netflix.com

Starring: Jason Bateman, Michael Cera and Portia de Rossi

Synopsis: A continuation of the Golden Globe winning series which ran from 2003 to 2006, this show follows the Bluth family as they navigate their lives filled with comical family drama and issues.

For the Fans Of: Modern Family, Community

Chasing the Saturdays

Air Date: January 20th

Channel: E! Network

Starring: The Saturdays (Una Healy, Rochelle Humes, Mollie King, Frankie Sandford and Vanessa White)

Synopsis: This reality show follows the British girl band “The Saturdays” on their journey to pop star fame in the United States. After moving to Los Angeles, the girls work on their fourth album as well as perform to gain recognition in the States. The Saturdays have had three Top 10 UK albums as well as eleven Top 10 UK singles since their formation in 2007.

For the Fans Of: Keeping Up With the Kardashian, Married to Jonas

Splash

Air Date: March 19th

Channel: ABC

Starring: Drake Bell, Kendra Wilkinson and Katherine Webb

Synopsis: Celebrities perform complicated dives while being coached by professional diving instructors. As the series progresses, dives increase in difficulty by including more gymnastics and higher diving board heights.

For the Fans Of: Dancing With the Stars, Stars in Danger: The High Dive

Do No Harm

Air Date: January 31st

Channel: NBC

Starring: Steven Pasquale

Synopsis: By day he is known as Dr. Jason Cole, but due to an alter ego at the same time every night Cole becomes Ian Price. The show explores the issues that arise as Jason Cole tries to control his other self.

For the Fans Of: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde