Artist of the Month: Senior Miranda Johnson

by Chelsea Birchmier

Q&A with Miranda Johnson, senior

What type of art are you most interested in?

I like animations. The Disney princess movies and all those, those are animations. They’re a series of drawings that when flipped quickly, they appear to have movement.

What art classes have you taken?

I’ve done drawing from kindergarten up through 8, drawing I at St. Teresa’s, advanced drawing, painting, fibers, and I’m in portfolio now. Then outside of school I have done three figure drawing classes, two animation classes, an illustration class, a painting class and a film class.

Do you have any artistic inspirations?

There’s one guy Ms. Wallerstedt showed me called Egon Schiele that I really like. I love Disney, and I love anime. Art Nouveau, I like that style. One of my big influences is definitely Tim Burton. I love his gothic look but also the warmth he gives his characters

When did you become interested in art?

I’ve been interested all my life. My dad’s an architect, and he likes to watercolor paint, my cousin went to the Art Institute, my grandpa likes to take pictures, so it’s kind of always been a part of my life.

What is your favorite thing to draw?

I love to draw people because every person looks different, so it’s always drawing something new. And I hate straight lines, and there are no straight lines in the human body.

Do you have a favorite artist from STA?

There is this girl in advanced drawing, I don’t know her name, but she has a lot of talent. She does these pastel drawings that are amazing.

What kind of environment do you like to draw in?

I always listen to music when I work. I do tend to draw better when I’m able to talk to people.

Do you think art will play a role in your future?

I am going to the Savannah College of Art and Design. I want to be an animator when I get older. I would like to do 2D animations.

Describe your art in one word or phrase.

Ever-changing, because I’ve never really found a style I could stick with, so each [work of art] is different.