St. Teresa’s Academy junior Laura Neenan gives Wii Fit Tips

The Wii, launched in the fall of 2006, appeals not only to pre-teen boys but people of all ages through its interactive, motion detecting system. The newly released Wii Fit is a game developed for the Wii console using a balance board and is now the second best-selling video game of all time. The Wii Fit has become a popular way to not only have fun but get in shape. For all new or experienced users, here are my top five ways to get the most out of your Wii Fit.

1. Make the commitment

If this video game is your replacement for running outside or going to the gym, do not fear. The Wii will keep track of your fitness levels, how long you work out, and how many calories you burn each day so you can achieve that killer beach body before spring break.

Yoga, strength training, balance games, and aerobics; there are many things to choose from so you will look forward to your thirty minute work outs after school everyday.

2. Listen to the computer…

Do not be intimidated by that high pitched and creepy voice. Read each informative message that comes up, even if you just want to get on with the game. If the Wii tells you that you do not have perfect balance, listen. Take the advice and adjust what you’re doing.

Going for the half-moon? Attempting to mold yourself into a cobra? This game device is especially helpful indicating when to breathe when you’re trying to master the newest yoga pose, something that even a professional instructor cannot do.

3. It’s all about Mii

Make sure and personalize your own Mii person. Spend time and have a little fun when creating your character. Go crazy. If you happen to have a large mole on your right cheek like I do, don’t be ashamed, smack it on. Enhance your trademark body traits that will set your Mii apart. There is nothing worse than staring at someone that is suppose to motivate yourself who doesn’t look a thing like you. Take the time to create your character. All they need is a little TLC.

4. Create some friendly competition

Proving to yourself and your competition you are indeed better than them with your 200m ski jump just adds to the enjoyment of the Wii Fit. Organizing a tournament is a great way to keep yourself active. Creating rivalries keeps you passionate and practicing to make yourself the best. It’s okay if you aren’t winning all the time because it’s just a game, right? Wrong. You must win. Regain your confidence, and crush the competition.

Shifting your body weight back and forth to catch those fish is not a joke when it comes to penguin slide. Flapping your arms up and down like a pelican may look ridiculous, but when you land that final target in bird’s-eye bull’s-eye, you will be even more proud of yourself because you beat your competition while still burning the calories.

5. Have fun!

Do not always take yourself seriously while exercising on the Wii Fit. There are plenty of games to choose from that can add a little flair to your boring Saturday afternoon. You do not always need to be pushing yourself to burn the extra calorie. You will be surprised how quickly the time will pass hula-hooping or going on a run around the Wii Fit island. These interactive games provide unlimited entertainment while still being active. The Wii Fit is a great way to keep fit and have fun.