Get ready for the holidays with Christmas movies

Veteran movie blogger Kate Rohr wants you to properly enjoy the holidays with this list of absolutely essential Christmas movies. Check out Roseblog over the holidays for even more in-depth reviews of these Christmas classics.

“It’s a Wonderful Life”

1946- If you want to feel inspired this holiday season, look no further! This legendary Christmas classic tells the story of George Bailey, an ordinary man whose guardian angel prevents him from committing suicide on Christmas Eve by showing him what the world would be like without him. You won’t be able to walk away without feeling uplifted and happy.

“Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer”

1964 – The stop motion animated film that we all know and love tells the epic tale of the misfit Rudolph in his quest to find acceptance and eventually to save Christmas. The movie includes fun characters such as Hermey the elf, Yukon Cornelius, and the Abominable Snow Monster. “Rudolph” will be shown several times on CBS, so watch for it soon!

“A Charlie Brown Christmas”

1965 – This classic movie brilliantly explores the over-commercialization of Christmas and its true meaning, as plainly explained by a little kid who happens to carry a blanket wherever he goes. It stars your favorite characters, including the sassy Lucy, the ever-depressed Charlie, and that little dog who we all wish lived in our backyard, Snoopy. You can’t go wrong with a classic like this, so watch for it on ABC in the coming weeks.

“Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas!”

1966 – A mean, green, Christmas-hating machine named the Grinch tries to steal Christmas from the cheery, peaceful and Christmas-loving Whos of Whoville. Based on the children’s book of the same title by the genius Dr. Seuss, this 26-minute Christmas TV special is a classic for families, so don’t miss it this December!

“A Christmas Story”

1983 – This is the hilarious story of a little boy and his dream of the perfect Christmas gift, a Red Ryder BB Gun. This film is overflowing with iconic scenes, from the infamous leg lamp to the bunny pajamas, and is filled with great lines. Nothing gets you in the spirit for family time and gift-giving like this movie. “A Christmas Story” is so good that TBS plays it for 24 hours on Christmas Eve, so there are no excuses for missing it!

“Home Alone”

1990 – We’ve all seen this one a thousand times, but how about a thousand and one? No one can resist the conniving yet adorable Kevin McAllister when his family abandons him on Christmas and he is left to defend his home from robbers. Written and produced by John Hughes, this film is simultaneously touching and hysterical as Kevin misses his family and fends off the idiotic robbers. Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

“The Santa Clause”

1994 – Don’t miss this sweet Christmas movie starring Tim Allen as a dad who somehow gets roped in to becoming “The Santa Clause.” It will remind you of your younger days when no one questioned Santa’s existence, and it definitely gets you in the Christmas spirit. Don’t be sad when the credits start to roll on the screen – there are two more! Though “The Santa Clause 2” and “The Santa Clause 3” are not nearly as good as the first, check them out.

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas”

2000 – Yes, there is a reason you should see both versions of this movie – the story is just that good! This is the live-action version, and definitely one of Jim Carrey’s funniest roles. It was one of Taylor Momsen’s first acting roles, as she plays the sweet Cindy Lou Who.

“Elf”

2003 – This is nonstop Christmas fun for the whole family, as we watch Buddy the Elf discover that he’s really a human and travel to New York City to meet his real dad, who turns out to be a scrooge. Buddy’s innocence and love of all things Christmas is endearing and hilarious, and “Elf” is riddled with bits of Will Ferrell’s comic genius. Rent it quickly, because this Christmas favorite may not be on the shelves for long!

“The Nativity Story”

2006 – For the more religious folks out there, “The Nativity Story” is a great film that goes through the story of Jesus’s birth, starting from when Mary and Joseph first get engaged to when the young family flees to Egypt. Though we all know the story of Jesus’s birth, this movie entertainingly retells it.

“The Holiday”

2006 – If you get a little exhausted with all this Christmas cheer, then “The Holiday” is just the film for you. Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet star as two women who meet on the Internet and decide to switch houses during Christmas, so they can both escape their awful love lives. It is sweet and romantic, which is a nice break from all the other “Christmas spirit” movies.