Kate Spade store opens on Country Club Plaza

By Sara Meurer

A Kate Spade New York store opened Oct. 25 on the Country Club Plaza.  The Plaza location is the first Kate Spade New York shop in the Kansas City area. STA alumna Kate Spade founded the brand, then sold it to designer Liz Claiborne in 2007. The store is located on Nichols Road, next to the Michael Kors store.  Junior Sophie Seigfreid believes that the Kate Spade New York store will be a great addition to the Plaza.

“[The Kate Spade New York store] will only add to the class of the Plaza and great stores to shop at,” Seigfreid said.  “It is a classy colorful store that will bring a high-end crowd to the Plaza.”
According to Ms. Gayle Terry, marketing director of Highwoods Properties, the Kate Spade New York store will add to the luxury of the Plaza.
“Kate Spade fits our overall profile as a successful luxury brand that has continued to stay fresh and relevant,” Terry said. “We have been interested in this store for years.”
Highwoods Properties is a real estate provider that owns the Plaza.
Terry believes that Spade’s Kansas City roots add to the interest in the brand.
“[The fact that Kate Spade is from Kansas City] definitely makes our local leasing team more interested in having this store and very proud to have made the deal and share this brand with our local and regional customers,” Terry said.
According to Seigfreid, what sets Spade apart from other designers is her originality.
“[Spade] takes very classic traditional looks and spices them up with bright colors, sparkles and expensive high quality materials.” Seigfreid said.