Music department seeks support, audiences

The music department creates committees, plans fundraisers and showcase concerts to encourage support for the arts from the student body | by MICAH WILKINS

Last thursday, the Department of Music put on its first Fall Festival for students, friends and family.  The festival included 10 pieces by the orchestra, concert choir and A Cappella choir.

Among the many STA singers at the Festival was senior McKenzie Miller,  a violinist in the orchestra and a singer for the A Cappella Choir.  She and other STA singers have been promoting the Arts Department more this year, to encourage more support from the student body.

“I think it’s a part of the school that girls could be celebrating a lot more,” Miller said.  “This is something people could support just as much as athletics.”

The choir have begun a publicity committee this year, under their new director of music, Ms. Michelle Allen McIntire. Miller is chair of the committee.

“I’m loud enough to shamelessly promote the choir,” Miller said.

In addition to the publicity committee, an artistic committee, a sunshine committee and a costume/materials committee were all created.  The committees meet once or twice a week to promote the Music Department at STA, and plan fundraisers for a competition the choir will attend in Boston, Mass. in April, according to Miller. The choir will perform, be judged and be given feedback by a panel of judges. To raise money for the trip, which the entire choir hopes to attend, the choir sold Chris Cakes Tuesday and will have a Bake Sale Dec. 4.

According to Miller, the publicity committee was effective in bringing a larger audience to their performance last Thursday.

“This was more people than we’ve had [in the past]” Miler said.  “Looking out and seeing people other than moms was pretty awesome.”

In addition, a larger crowd inspires more enthusiasm and more participants involved in choir says Miller.

“It boosts morale,” Miller said. “Having an audience is cool.”