Sporty Seniors

As the school says farewell to its seniors, The Dart recognizes all the sporty seniors who are committed to play a sport in college.

Brooklyn Acuff- William Jewell College

Q: Why did you decide to continue playing tennis in college?
A: Playing in college has always been the ultimate goal of my training but additionally it has always been my deep aspiration to compete for my future school and for a team.
Q: If you were choosing from multiple schools, why did you pick this one?
A: For me, it ended up being between Doane University and Jewell. In the end, proximity and familiarity is what made me decide on Jewell. I love that my parents, who enjoy coming and supporting me at my matches, get to continue that and travel to see most all my matches if they choose to.

Sydney Chmel- South Dakota State University

Q: Why did you decide to continue to pursue being an equestrian in college?
A: I decided to continue my athletic career at the collegiate level because I wanted to experience being on a team. Riding has always been an individual sport, so college gives me the opportunity to experience it in a new way.
A: I picked SDSU over other offers because I connected with the coach and liked the distance it was from home.

Grace Doornbos- Rockhurst University

Q: Why did you decide to continue playing lacrosse in college?
A: I chose to keep playing lacrosse in college because of my love for the sport and when I was younger I told myself that I would continue to play at the next level if I had the chance to.
A: I picked Rock because from day one Molly (the coach) made me feel how much Rockhurst wanted me and I connected to the team these past two years during visits, overnight stays practicing with the team and just watching the connection the girls have on and off the field.

Gracie Jacobs- Kansas State University

Q: Why did you decide to continue running in college?
A: I decided to continue running in college because I didn’t want to be done. Almost every single season, I’ve seen dramatic improvements, so I want to keep pushing my limits and see just how good I can become.
Q: What has been your favorite thing about playing sports at STA?
A: My favorite thing has been the people that I have gotten to know along the way. I’ve met so many amazing people and have made lots of friends
throughout the years of racing for STA.

Lina Kilgore- Rhodes College

Q: Why did you decide to continue playing soccer in college?
A: I decided to continue playing soccer in college because it has become such an integral part of my life that has granted me some amazing opportunities and allowed me to form incredible connections. I was simply not ready to give up something so important to me.
A: I chose Rhodes because I loved it for so much more than just the soccer program. I loved the campus, the student life and the classes. I just knew it was the best place for me.

Piper Newton- Morgan State University

Q: Why did you decide to continue playing volleyball in college?
A: I decided to continue playing in college because I’ve played for so long and I love it, so I just couldn’t give it up. And being a college athlete helps me with my discipline and helps me have a built-in group of friends when I go.
A: I had other options but I chose Morgan State because I felt the most at home there. The coaches seemed like they really care for their players and I
wanted a nurturing environment. Also, the student life there is so much fun and they are expanding their school.

Margot Randall- Villanova University

A: I decided to continue to play volleyball because for me it was still fun. I still get excited for games and love to compete with my teammates and get a
workout from it too!
A: I was deciding between a few other schools but what set Villanova a part was my whole family lives in the area and I was born and raised in Philadelphia so it has always felt like home to me. I also loved the coaches and the feel of campus and team chemistry. I felt like it wasn’t too high pressure and Villanova really emphasized how important a balance of school and social life along with sport is.

Madison Roney- William Jewell College

A: I decided to continue playing volleyball because I love the competitiveness and also the team aspect of the sport, and playing volleyball will keep me in shape in college!
A: I picked William Jewell because I committed with a couple other girls that I am close with and have a chance to play a lot my freshman year.
Q: What will you miss most about playing for STA?
A: I will miss all of my teammates and the pregame music sessions in the locker room.

MaryGrace Seymour- Truman State University

A: I started playing tennis when I was three years old, so tennis has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. When the opportunity came to play tennis in college, I was excited to continue because it’s something so familiar in my life and something that I love.
A: When I went to meet with the coaches and the team, it was a very positive and fun environment. When I met the team, I could see myself getting along with them really well, and I could tell it was going to be a fun but also challenging experience, which is what I was looking for.

Hailey Scheuer- Maryville University

A: After going through a long and painful injury, I thought I would not continue playing soccer; however, my coach and teammates helped me realize I still loved the game and wanted to keep playing. Additionally, playing a sport creates a balance so my college experience isn’t just school but also creating friendships in the sport I love.
A: I will miss playing with my teammates I have grown with throughout the seasons and years, especially this year. I will miss being a leader on the team!