To Affinity and Beyond

STA Affinity Presidents share what their groups do.

Hispanic Affinity

Why did you decide that you wanted to be president of the Hispanic Affinity group?

I was elected. I think it was a great idea to take on the role of president because there aren’t many of us [Hispanics] and if we didn’t have a leader we would not really have a group. I love to work with the rest of the leaders and we’re really close-knit.

Can you tell me about the Hispanic affinity group?

It’s a group of all the people that identify as Hispanic or Latina. We get together at least once a month and we either put on things like dances or events to try to immerse everyone into our culture. We specifically partake in Hispanic Heritage Month, which started on September 15 and runs through October 15. We set up a display in M&A or possibly Goppert, and announce fun facts about Hispanic Heritage Month on TBC.

What are traditions or activities that you do?

We set up the Ofrenda for Dia de Los Muertos which is basically a table to honor our dead by putting candies and skulls on it. It is welcome for all students to put a picture of their loved one.

Black Student Coalition

Why did you decide that you wanted to be president of Black Student Coalition? 

I decided that I wanted to be president because in the past, I realized that Black Student Coalition was something that a lot of girls didn’t want to be a part of. I thought that if I became president and incorporated my ideas, it would be a fun place that girls were excited to come to.

Can you tell me about Black Student Coalition? 

Black Student Coalition is a space for black students at STA to feel welcome, included and empowered.

We have done a fashion show over the past few years that’s really fun. We do a movie night and this year we’re incorporating other schools around the metro area. I’m trying to incorporate something fun into every meeting. Last meeting, we did dances that everyone knows and we may sing songs from our favorite artists. I’m hoping that these activities will happen in future years when I’m no longer here.

Asian Affinity

Why did you decide that you wanted to be president of Asian Affinity?

Unfortunately, a lot of our Asian population were seniors last year. Ms. Earl asked some of the sophomores and juniors if any of us wanted to lead Asian Affinity and I volunteered.

Can you tell me about Asian Affinity?

Asian Affinity is a support group for students of Asian descent and allies to come and learn more about Asian cultures and try to dispel some typical stereotypes.

Typically, we will do a Lunar New Year celebration and then we’ll do activities during Asian-American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Last year, we did tea tasting, origami and yoga.