Star Spotlight: Morgan Wright

Junior Morgan Wright discusses her love for boxing and how she got into the sport

Back to Article
Back to Article

Star Spotlight: Morgan Wright

Wright puts on her boxing gloves. Classes at Title Boxing begin with 7 minutes of warm ups. photo by Rachel Robinson

by Olivia Wirtz, Writer

When did you first get into boxing?

I got into boxing about a year ago, last January right after Christmas. I was seeing a lot of advertising about Title Boxing, and I drove by it all the time.

How did you get into it?

I just thought it would be fun to start up. I went to one class when I was 10 years old with my dad and brother, but I actually hated it. But after I quit soccer, I needed something to stay in shape. It was such a great workout, and I wanted to keep going back.

Why do you enjoy this sport?

I really enjoy it because after a long day at school or any sort of drama I can just go to the gym and totally zone into my workout. Also, the sore muscle feeling after a really good workout always makes me feel super accomplished. Since all the trainers have different ways of teaching, I almost always get that feeling.

How often do you box?

I try to go three times a week. I work out at home on my off days from Title to work on other things. I usually take an off day over the weekend.

What are the physical benefits of boxing?

It helps people to get into shape and once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to stay in shape too. Boxing also is great for your heart and whole body to do aerobic exercises.

How about the mental benefits?

It’s great if I need to blow off some steam or get my mind off stressful things like school. It’s also great to know that I have that time to myself built into my schedule.

What was the adjustment period like while first starting boxing?

My first class, I thought I was going to throw up. There was no doubt about it, it was hard. But then I wanted to continue boxing so badly, and I also bought 6 months I had to stick with it.

What are the mental challenges initially with boxing?

It was hard to bring myself to come here right after school. But then, I thought about my after-school schedule and it really fit in well.

What is your favorite thing about this sport?

I like how it is focused. You can take your mind off of everything outside of boxing. You don’t have to worry about anything except for your feet, hands and protecting your face.

How will you continue boxing in the future/college?

I probably will continue. My boxing facility has actually offered me a job for when I turn 18. So I have 7 months until I can go work and be a trainer there.

If you could tell someone about boxing that knows nothing about it, what would you tell them?
I would tell them that it’s hard to get into but it’s so worth it. It almost feels addictive once you’ve done it once.

Lastly, tell us what a typical day is like at the gym?

First, it’s 7 minutes of warm-ups, which include high knees, burpees, etc. Then, there are 8 rounds of 3 minutes of boxing with a minute break in between. Then 7 minutes of core, where you exercise with medicine balls and practice planks, etc. It’s a 45-minute session.

About the Writer
Olivia Wirtz, Writer

Hello! My name is Olivia Wirtz and I am a senior! This is my second year being on staff as a writer for the Dart. If you see me around school, I’m probably...