Star Spotlight: Maggie Dodderidge and Mady Mudd

Sophomores Maggie Dodderidge and Mady Mudd take on Teresian together.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomores Maggie Dodderidge and Mady Mudd dance together at the Teresian dance Sept. 22. photo by Maddie Loehr

by Olivia Wirtz, Writer

How was your first Teresian?

Both: It was good!

What did you expect Teresian to be like?

Maggie: I expected it to be like a mixer but fancier.

What was it actually like?

Both: It was really fun but tiring!

How did you decide to go together?

Maggie: We’ve been dating for quite a while. She asked me first but I said no because I had a plan to ask her. It is also so much cheaper than both getting individual tickets rather than a couple’s one.

Who asked who? Or was it assumed?

Maggie: She asked me first but I said no because I had a plan!

Mady: Yeah I asked her kind of joking because we knew we were going together but then she said no!

Maggie: So I was really extra and made a rainbow layered cake that said “will you go straight to teresian with me?” I already knew she would say yes, it was just the theatrics of it all.

Were you in a group with your friends?

Maggie: Yes, we messily made a group of our friends and went to my house. Mady made dinner for us and I made dessert. We also had the after party at my house.

Mady: She didn’t even have a theme picked out! I had to pick a theme and get decorations.

Are you the only ones in your group that go with each other? Do you wish there were more gay couples?

Maggie: Well, there was one other [straight] couple and everyone else went as friends. I don’t really wish that there were more couples. I like going with all my friends and if they don’t need or want to have dates, I’m fine with that. As long as I get to hang out with my friends and they’re all happy, I’m good with it. It would be nice to see more openly LGBTQ couples, but a lot of people aren’t comfortable with that and I understand that.

Mady: There was another couple in our group besides Maggie and I, but we were the only gay couple. Most people in our group went as friends or went without a date. I was fine with being the only gay couple in our group. Everyone there was super fun and supportive. In fact they seemed more focused with eating the food Maggie and I made for them than the fact that we’re dating.

What would you say to students who want to take each other, whether as just friends or not, but are tentative to?

Mady: If two girls want to go to Teresian as friends I don’t see why not. Going half on a couple’s ticket will save them money, and from what I heard, it’s actually more fun and less pressure. If two girls wanted to go as each other’s dates, like Maggie and I did, then I would say go for it. I’ve never experienced any negativity from admin or students since I’ve been dating Maggie, but if I were to, it would honestly just be more disappointing than anything else. There isn’t an issue with being yourself in your own school so take whoever you want!

How is your experience different from others do you think?

Maggie: I think that there are a lot of differences because we’re dating and most straight girls who take dates, I think they end up taking boys that they may not be as comfortable with or know very well so there’s kinda a divide. But for me and Mady I’d like to say that we are very comfortable around each other, and we’ve been dating for quite some time so it was a lot easier for us to let go and dance like fools the whole night. Also, something else that is different is that people treat you differently as a gay couple in public and at home so there are a lot of differences outside of Teresian and school.

Mady: To be completely honest I don’t think it’s much different from the experience that students who brought their boyfriends must have had, as far as how Maggie and I feel for each other goes. But since we are a gay couple we definitely have to be a little more cautious when in certain environments, safety is often a concern and in many places people will stare at us for doing something as simple as holding hands. There’s also more fun differences like the fact that we can do things like wear matching dresses and shawls, which someone could certainly do with a boyfriend but I don’t think he would enjoy it as much as Maggie and I did.

About the Writer
Olivia Wirtz, Writer

Hello! My name is Olivia Wirtz and I am a senior! This is my second year being on staff as a writer for the Dart. If you see me around school, I’m probably...