“Crazy Rich Asians” More Than Love A Story

"Crazy Rich Asians" is more than a love story it's about women empowerment.

by Tess Jones, Writer

I had heard raves about how “Crazy Rich Asians” was one of the greatest movies they’ve seen this summer, mostly from my mother. Yet when I saw the trailers  I thought the movie was going to be a corny romantic comedy like the “Kissing Booth.” I wasn’t even planning on seeing the movie until I had to write a review. I was expecting this movie to be the classic, girl and guy fall in love but there’s a problem and they can’t stay together but in the end, they end up together.

As I sat down with watermelon Sour Patch Kids and recline my seat, the movie began. During the first few scenes, I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen. Then when Nick Young (Henry Golding) and Rachel Chu’s (Constance Wu) landed in Singapore, I realized I was completely wrong. This movie made me rethink romantic comedies because on some level “Crazy Rich Asians” was the cheesy romantic comedy that you watch with your friends at a sleepover. However, it also completely shakes the ideals of what romantic comedies are. This movie wasn’t just about Nick and Rachel’s relationship, it was about how Rachel became an independent woman who did as she pleased, regardless of what others thought.

Throughout this movie, women are making their own decisions. The women in this movie evolved in a way that usually you don’t get to see in romantic comedies. You see these women do what they want because it will make them happy and they don’t care what anyone else thinks about their decisions. Rachel makes her choices based on how she’s feeling, she does what will make her feel better and make her get to where she wants to be. Goh Peik Lin (Awkwafina) does what she wants and acts how she acts because it makes her happy, she doesn’t care what her parents or even what others think. Throughout this entire movie, women make choices that will make them happy. They only do what will make themselves happy and they put themselves first.

This movie, changed the way that I will see romantic comedies from now on because, instead of thinking it’ll be the cheesy classic, I’ll look deeper and see that the women in these movies are making their own decisions and making these decisions for themselves and to make themselves happy. This movie wasn’t just about Nick and Rachel’s relationship, it was also about all the women in the movie making themselves happy first. Not only does “Crazy Rich Asians”allow you to see the movie from a different perspective, but if you wanted you could sit down and just enjoy the classic-ness of this rom-com.

About the Writer
Tess Jones, Writer

Hi everyone! I'm Tess Jones, this is my sophomore year and it's my first year on staff.  I'm on the social media team, writer and page designer. When...