Passing of the legacy ceremony welcomes new students

The passing of the legacy ceremony is an annual event held to kick off the new school year and usher in all new students.

Senior Leah Dorris and freshman Caroline Brincks hug during Passing of the Legacy Aug. 18. The ceremony is an annual way to begin bonding between upper and underclassmen. photo by Amy Schaffer

by Mary Massman, Breaking News Editor

The annual passing of the legacy ceremony was held Aug. 16 in the Goppert Center. Seniors presented the class of 2022 and transfer students with a St. Teresa of Avila medal and prayer card. The prayer card included a message on the back welcoming the new students to the sisterhood.

Senior class president Lorna Green also gave a speech with advice to the freshmen class based on her past four years.

“I just thought about what I wanted to hear when I was a freshmen, and what would make me feel comfortable,” Green said. “I thought sharing a story of my failure and how I came to succeed would help a lot of freshmen realize that everyone fails at some point, and that you can definitely come back from failure.”