Stars place first at first track meet of the season

The Stars brought home first place at the AL Hobson meet at the F.L. Schlagle stadium Saturday. The team scored 282 points, beating the second place team, Lincoln College Prep who scored 123 points.

Some of the track team poses for a picture with the first place trophy on the field at the F.L. Schlagle stadium after the meet March 24. The stars won first place with a score of 282 points. photo courtesy of Maddie Douglass

by Trang Nguyen, Breaking News Editor

The track team competed at the F.L. Schlagle Stadium in the AL Hobson meet March 24 and won first place among seven teams. The stars overall scored 282 points, ranking among the seven other schools: Lincoln College Prep, Bishop Hogan High School, Kauffman School, F.L. Schlagle High School, Southeast High School and KC East High School.

Freshman Leah North broke the school’s long jump record getting 17’-11” at the first meet of the season.

“When I first broke it, I knew, but in my mind I didn’t believe it,” North said. “So, it took me a while to realize that I broke it.”

North looks forward to the end of the season.

“I look forward to making it to state in my events,” North said. “I see STA placing at state this year.”

Head track and field coach Andrew Boland promised the team a pizza party if they won the meet. The stars will go on to compete this week with their tri-meet March 27 and the freshmen and sophomore meet March 28 at Blue Springs.