An African Safari

Modeled after Brady Dennis’ original 300 word series, this series captures people and moments in 300 words: no more, no less

With butterflies in her stomach and high hopes for her upcoming voyage, junior Alex Beineman loaded into the plane with her parents, sister, grandparents, and grandparents’ friends anticipating the sixteen hour long flight. Her 32-pound Northface suitcase in tow, loaded with a few pairs of jeans, athletic shorts and a couple of neutral colored v-necks, she had no idea what to expect when she arrived to Africa.  Little did she know, her high expectations were much more than met, they were exceeded.

Throughout her two weeks of Safari, each day brought a new adventure.  Seven-seater topless Jeeps, khaki Safari pants and bulky boots were a part of the daily agenda.  Lion attacks on wildabeasts and Zebra sightings were part of the norm and camel rides were a casual thing.

Although showers may have been scarce and a time difference of eight hours caused for some drowsiness, the sunny 80-degree weather and elephants close enough to touch were compelling and simply indescribable.

Before entering a non-commercial residence, the Beineman family had to be formally invited into the area by a local elder.  Upon arrival, they offered a goat as a sign of respect and gratitude for their acceptance.

Interactions with the locals opened Alex’s eyes to a whole new world.  Their intricate beadings around their necks and wrists symbolize each individual’s social and marital statuses, and offering a man an animal sacrifice could suffice as a friendship proposal.

After spending twelve days sleeping in tents and lodges, watching animal attacks and learning about African customs, all she has to show for her African safari are a t-shirt, a blanket, a thousand photos and her multiple authentic bracelets.  Eventually, the elaborate colors on these bracelets will fade, along with her African tan.  However, the memories of her journey will last a lifetime.