Flavorful Fries

This week, I stuffed my face with fries to find the most flavorsome fries in Kansas City.

by Meghan Baker, Photo Editor

French fries are a universally loved food. There are multiple types of fries, from steak fries to shoestring fries, for everybody to enjoy. In my opinion, the best fries are super crispy, not too thick and seasoned to perfection. In an attempt to find fries that fit that description I went to three KC restaurants known for their fries.

#1 Kansas City Joe’s

What I got: side of fries

Oklahoma Joe’s, uh sorry, Kansas City Joe’s, side order of fries are the definition of my perfect fries. They are a little thicker than shoestring fries, giving the fries firmness and stability. However, the seasoning is what really stands out when it comes to these fries. The seasoning, which is also used on some of the meat, contains ingredients like sugar, onion powder, paprika and brown sugar, giving the fries a salty, smoky flavor. The fries also come in huge proportions, so these are perfect to share with a friend.

#2 Tay’s Burger Shack

What I got: side of fries

Though they may look average, the fries at Tay’s Burger Shack have an unexpected amount of flavor. The fries are covered in a spicy pepperoncini seasoning blend, which took me by surprise in the best way possible. The fries also pair perfectly with their sriracha ketchup and sriracha mayo, which add to the already fiery fries. Everything on the menu is also reasonably priced, so if you’re looking for a no-fuss burger and fries with some serious flavor, this is the place for you.

#3 Green Room Burgers and Beer

What I got: Truffle Fries and Farmer Fries

In my opinion, fries only get better when you layer cheese and other toppings on them, which is exactly what the Green Room accomplished. They have a perfect example of classic truffle fries. They weren’t too greasy and they were dusted in a equivalent amount of parmesan and parsley. On the other hand, the farmer fries were a little more adventurous. The balsamic grilled onions, shredded cheese, mushrooms, peppers and a fried egg all came together to make what tasted almost like nacho fries.