Nan Bone is ready for retirement

Bone will step down after the 2018-19 school year.

by Olivia Wirtz, Writer

As she hung up the phone, she was utterly shocked. After applying for her dream job, she didn’t expect much to come out of it, but her expectations had transformed into reality. Nan Bone, principal of St. Peter’s grade school at the time, received a phone call telling her that she would be the new president of STA. She could not believe that she had the opportunity to lead a school she loves.

“My mom was so proud,” Bone said. “My family has a long history of loving STA.”

After 11 years as president, Nan Bone will be retiring from her position following the 2018-19 school year. Bone will be staying at STA to oversee the finishing of the Capital Campaign.

Biology teacher Mary Montag has been teaching at STA for 19 years and has been serving under Bone for ten years. Montag has come to know and admire Bone, going to her with new ideas that will benefit the students.

“She is an incredibly supportive educator. She is so pro-student,” said Montag. “Her attitude towards my ideas is always a smile on her face and a yes because if it’s good for the girls then its a yes.”

Bone hopes that the new president will have strong roots in education just as she has. The board is looking to begin the search process for a new president sometime after spring break this year.

“The new president should never forget that every single day students come in and need to have that good consistent education experience,” said Montag. “ I think it’s going to be hard to imagine our institution without her (Bone) because of all of the really positive changes and that smile always on her face.”

Montag also served under Faith Wilson, the president of STA before Bone.

“One thing that has been so incredibly important about the two presidents that I have served under is that they completely understood St. Teresa’s,” said Montag. “I think Nan Bone being a graduate of STA and having sisters and daughters that have graduated understands the tradition. That is what is so important about our institution.”

Bone began her position as president of STA in 2007. She had mostly elementary school experience, but she had her superintendent certification.

Alumni Emily Vogt was a board member during the time that Nan began her position. Vogt was also board president from 2012-13. According to Vogt, “The core of what the leadership has to focus on are the principles of the people who created this school, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.”

“She came into this job with a real vision,” said Vogt. “We were beyond impressed with her ideas to improve STA.”

Bone began fundraising and strategically planning for the future. One of her main goals for STA was to build up the endowment fund.

“It was a different campus when I came,” said Bone. “I felt like it was a beautiful campus, it just needed to shine a little bit more.”

Not only is Bone an alumna, but her grandmother was a student at STA’s first site, the downtown campus. Her mother, five sisters, and daughters have attended STA as well.

Bone sent an email to the STA community announcing her retirement Jan. 18. The email stated that during the board meeting Jan. 10, she announced her intention to retire.

She wishes for STA to continue to be the premier school for women. She believes that STA should always represent the mission and values of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, empower women, and teach students to serve their dear neighbor.

“My wish is that this school can be as great as it is for many years to come,” said Bone. “It has been an honor to serve the STA community as your president.”