Students attend presentation from employees at the National Renewable Energy Lab

Julieta Giraldez and Melissa Cano spoke to students about their careers in environmental science.

Melissa Cano (left) and Julieta Giraldez (right) present to students Jan. 12. photo by Olivia Wirtz

by Olivia Wirtz, Writer

Employees at the National Renewable Energy Lab in Golden Colorado Julieta Giraldez and Melissa Cano came to the school Jan. 12 to give a presentation on their careers in environmental science. The presentation included descriptions of what they studied in college and their jobs now.

According to junior Annebelle Tangen, Giraldez and Cano’s presentation gave her a glimpse of a possible career path.

“I learned a lot and they helped me understand what a career in environmental science, my intended field of study, would be like,” Tangen said.

Giraldez and Cano also presented gender inequality in the STEM workforce. Cano informed the students about her upcoming expedition to Antarctica through an organization called Homeward Bound.  It will be the largest expedition of women scientists, with 80 women chosen from around the world. This organization aims to impact women in science in order to influence the shaping of the planet.