Students evacuate M&A building after fire alarm is accidentally pulled

The fire alarm rang Monday morning around 7:30 a.m. Students and staff followed fire alarm procedure by exiting to the side field.


A student accidentally pulled the fire alarm with her backpack in M&A Oct. 30. photo by Julia Kerrigan

by Julia Kerrigan, Opinion Editor

Students evacuated the M&A building Monday morning around 7:30 a.m. after the fire alarm on the third floor was accidentally pulled by a student when her backpack got stuck. Students and teachers evacuated to the side field and then moved into the Windmoor building while administration sorted out the situation.

Students were then dismissed for their first period classes.

“The building was cleared and swept in a matter of minutes, and especially for advisory to first hour traffic, teachers did a wonderful job ‘shepherding the students,'” principal for student affairs Liz Baker said.

Because the fire department is alerted any time the alarm rings, fire trucks arrived on campus. Firefighters assessed the fire system and came up with a plan to have students and staff re-enter the building.