Test preparation helps STA students

This fall, college will be on the minds of many juniors and seniors as they begin taking standardized tests. Students across the nation will be preparing for their futures on Oct. 9, Oct. 13, or Oct. 23 while taking the ACT or the PSAT.  Ninety-nine percent of STA students take the ACT, a standardized test scored out of 36, recognized by many colleges across the country.  According to STA college counselor Debi Hudson, STA’s scores are consistent with other area college preparatory schools.

‘I think our ACT average is terrific,’ Hudson said. ‘The class of 2010 ended with a 26.3, far greater than the national, Kansas or Missouri average.”  

Compared to other area college preparatory schools, STA’s standardized test scores are only a little behind. Rockhurst High School’s ACT average for the class of 2009 is 27, but Rockhurst college counselor and PSAT and ACT Prep Director Bill Munninghoff  believes the curriculum has an impact on scores. 

‘The test scores are a residual effect of [Rockhurst’s]  general prep, daily curriculum,’ Munninghoff said. 

According to Hudson,  STA has increased preparation for students this year with a practice ACT Nov. 3 for all juniors, but it is still up to the students to prepare for the test on their own time.

‘I’m disappointed, though, by the lack of initiative students take to prepare on their own time,” Hudson said.  “Each year I recycle a ton of Preparing for the ACT guides.”

In addition to free ACT preparation guides, STA purchased Method Test Prep during the 2008-2009 school year online with two practice tests and 1,500 questions accessible at any time.  According to Hudson, only 45 percent of students looked at the site once last year. However, some students, like junior Hannah Haywood, would rather have extra help incorporated in class or extra class periods. 

‘Last year, Mrs. [Jo] Weller did a really good job of telling us what to know,’ Haywood said, referring to her algebra II teacher. ‘It would help a lot if we did that in the rest of the classes, but that is kind of difficult to do.’Â Â         

Although Hudson believes STA is at a strong level with their standardized test scores,  the college process includes much more than scores.

‘I’m happy with our performance though there is always room for improvement and growth,’ Hudson said. ‘So many factors are involved in admission decisions there is no way to predict [college admission decisions].’