Students attend career meeting

College counselor Debi Hudson recently implemented Career Explorations, a career presentation occurring once a quarter that will replace semi-annual Career Day.
During the first meeting Sept. 17 during activity period, STA hosted University of Missouri Kansas City speakers to talk about pharmacy and nursing. 
According to Hudson, these career talks will help students learn about different jobs earlier in their high school careers.
Speakers come from different educational backgrounds and careers, with an emphasis on STA alumnae willing to share their time with students.

‘A long term goal is to get a number of STA alums who would be willing to host an STA student for a shadow experience or perhaps even an e-mentoring experience,’ Hudson said.  ‘This way alums who live outside of Kansas City could communicate with current students and answer questions about their career field.’

The featured careers are chosen when students list their interest in different careers on the previous year’s PSAT test, according to Hudson.  This tells the administration which careers are the most popular and should be discussed.

Ms. Jolene Lynn, one of the UMKC speakers that appeared to talk about pharmacy and nursing, said that this could help students decide on what career they wish to pursue in college.

‘If students see a person that is in the field, they can get an actual idea of what nursing is all about and what nursing school here at UMKC would be like,’ Lynn said.

According to senior Colleen Corcoran, she attended the first Career Exploration because she wanted something to spice up her activity periods, but also because she is considering majoring in nursing.

‘Nursing is what I am interested in, and I thought it would teach me more about the major and career, but also give me a chance to ask questions,’ Corcoran said.

The November Career Exploration will focus on architecture, interior design and graphic design, according to Hudson.  The February and April career schedules are still in the planning stages.

‘I just hope [the career session] opens their eyes to new areas and gives them further information for exploration,’ Hudson said.  ‘One hour is not going to give them all the information they need, but I hope it will spark their interest to do further research online and shadow a professional in their interest area.”