STA aquires new uniforms for new school year

Over the summer, Parker Uniform representatives met with STA administration to discuss new looks for the uniform skirt.There was a discussion at that time to sell the new uniforms in the Star Shop as well. According to principal for student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker the change happened because of students rolling the skirts and complaints about the old uniform shirts shrinking into a square.    

According to Ms. Cathy Cusumano, who works at the Star Shop, the administration also met to discuss how to order and sell the uniforms, and what support STA would get from the uniform sales to go towards the Booster Club.

‘We hope to not only make it easier for the parents and students, to obtain uniforms throughout the year, but it  is also a fundraiser for the Booster Club,” Cusumano said.

Not only is there a different place to buy the uniforms, but a change in design of skirt and brand of polo shirt as well. The administration looked at three different versions of the skirt, a straight skirt, a wrap-around skirt and a drop waist skirt.

The administration decided on the drop waist skirt since the wider waistband prevents students from rolling their skirt, according to Hoecker. Most freshmen are the first to wear the new drop waist skirt.  

‘I don’t like [the uniforms] because they are uncomfortable and the waistband moves around and doesn’t feel like it fits well,’ freshman Natalie Rall said. ‘The skirts are stiff but that could possibly be because of the newness.’

According to Hoecker, the polos have changed because of complaints from students that the polos were shrinking.

‘The polos are longer because students were saying that the polos were shortening in the wash,’ Hoecker said. 

The new uniforms hold up about the same as the old uniform skirts do, according to Cusumano. The polos are longer, and are made of a lighter material this year. Both the skirt and the polo seem to hold up as well as the uniform last year. 

‘We hope that they will at least last through your four years of high school, if not forever, so that when you’re 50 years old you can go back and look at your skirt,’ Cusumano said.