Cultural Diversity Committee commemorates MLK

The Cultural Diversity Committee showed the movie Mighty Times: The Children’s March in the auditorium during activity. They showed this movie in honor of Martin Luther King Day which is celebrated Jan. 16.

Students watch the movie Mighty Times: The Children’s March in the auditorium Jan. 12. photo by Kate Jones

by Kate Jones, Social Media Team Member

The Cultural Diversity Committee showed the movie “Mighty Times: The Children’s March” during activity to commemorate Martin Luther King Day. After the movie, there was a student lead discussion where members of CDC and students alike contributed their ideas about the movie.

The committee handed out free popcorn that they received from the Glenwood Arts Theatre in Leewood, Kansas. Junior Caroline Muth, who is an employee of the Glenwood Arts Theatre and a member of CDC was able to get the popcorn for this event.

Muth said that she “was willing to get it for the good cause of MLK Day.” She also enjoyed the movie and discussion afterwards, “It was a part of history that I never really knew about. Everyone talks about what the adults did during the civil rights movement, but the children had a massive contribution to the cause. It was just really cool to see behind the scenes of one of the most important movements in American history.”