STA teacher Steven Jeffrey Karlin passes away

Over the weekend STA staff accompanist and piano teacher Steven Jeffrey Karlin passed away. Students gathered in memory of him Monday morning.

by Alex Davis and Cassie Hayes

story by Alex Davis

St. Teresa’s Academy staff accompanist and piano teacher Steven Jeffrey Karlin passed away Oct. 21 at his home. The 29-year-old not only taught at STA for six years, but also had many other involvements in the community, such as the Heartland Men’s Chorus, Karlin Kabaret and STA musical and theatre productions as well as other productions in the Kansas City area.

The morning of Oct. 24, students gathered around the seal in memory of Karlin. Flowers, candles, photographs and various gifts were placed on in the seal to honor Karlin and his time at STA.

photos by Cassie Hayes

[nggallery id= 1329]

STA singer and senior Lilly McGonigle recounts her memories of Karlin fondly, saying that he was “a really special person.”

“I always looked up to [Karlin] and respected him because he was just so unapologetically himself,” McGonigle said. “I think that’s something really hard to be without having to worry about the judgement of others and that wasn’t a concern for him. He was so smart and so talented and that he could just cultivate that many skills was unbelievable to me. He didn’t do anything halfway, he was just so enthusiastic about everything he did and he just had a genuine love for being with students and with Mr. Perry and Mr. Monsma and for creating music, laughter. He was just so funny and he really was just a special person.”

McGonigle further said she will be cherishing the memories she has of him, as well as many other students, faculty and staff will do too.

Announcements have been made for a memorial service for Karlin Oct. 27 from 3:30 to 8 p.m. at the Ritz Charles in Overland Park, Kansas. Students will have an early release in order to attend the service. At the service, several members of faculty and the administration will lead a prayer around 4 p.m.. Following will be songs sung by STA choirs. Administration has encouraged family and friends to share their experiences with Karlin during the entire evening with an open mic tribute.

Intentions at the All Saints Day Mass at STA Nov. 1 will also be said in honor of Karlin.

Steven Karlin Memorial Service
3:30 – 8 p.m.

Ritz Charles – Kansas City
9000 W. 137th Street
Overland Park, Kansas 66221