Looking back on the fall sports season

All five fall sports achieved success in the regular season, as well as District, Sectionals and State competitions.

by Natalie Telep, Staff Writer

This fall sports season was right up with the best of them, according to athletic director Mark Hough.

“Cross country, golf, tennis, softball and volleyball all made great runs through post-season competition,” Hough said.

Golf

Golf finished the season with sophomore Brie Arello competing at State.

“[Arello] was our first State qualifier since, I believe, 2014,” Hough said. “All five of our players qualified from Districts to Sectionals individually, but since they got all five through, they were able to compete as a team.”

According to Hough, the golf team had a strong regular season, competing at courses such as Minor Park, Indian Hills Country Club and Kansas City Country Club.

“Obviously what they did during the regular season was good and it prepared them to get through Districts and Sectionals, which are hard because we’re in a very tough District, and a very tough Sectionals,” Hough said.

Tennis

Tennis advanced in postseason competition, playing for the District championship against Park Hill South. Senior Mary Claire Connor ended up playing against Susan Brown, whom she also competed against in last year’s District championship.

The doubles team of sophomore Maggie Fielder and freshman Thais Montagner advanced to Sectionals.

“It was super fun going to Sectionals, but also a little nerve-wracking knowing that my doubles partner, Thais and I were the only two going to Sectionals from the team,” Fielder said.

“I think we did really good during the regular season and [we] won a lot of matches,” Montagner said.

After advancing from Districts, “they made it to Sectionals, but lost to a really good team in Sectionals that prevented them from going on to State,” Hough said.

Cross country

Cross country ended their season with the Kearney Invitational. According to Hough, they beat some other highly competitive private schools.

Cross country had a number of new runners, including sophomores Rose Crowe and Maddie Douglas. The cross country team also has returners that competed successfully in the 2015 season, like sophomore Addie Coppinger and senior Emma Kate Callahan.

Both Crowe and senior Katie Donnellan tied for 23rd place at Districts, and sophomore Addie Coppinger placed 27th.

Softball

Varsity softball advanced one game into Districts with a victory over Raytown South, but lost 10 to 2 to Lee’s Summit North. The Stars won the Benton Tournament in St. Joe with a record of 4-0, the first softball tournament win in St. Teresa’s history. Junior Sofia Giocondo, varsity left fielder, said the tournament was her favorite part of the season.

“That Saturday we played a whole day of softball but and we carried our energy throughout the whole day,” Giocondo said. “We won all four games, and in the fourth game, it was a tough battle between us and St. Joe Central. After the 4th game [freshman Elizabeth Ritchey] revealed that she had found a rabbit’s foot, and that was our good luck charm.

“I found it when I was putting my bag down behind the dugout,” Ritchey said. “The rabbit foot got [the softball team] even more hype for the final game of the tournament.”

According to Ritchey, she still has the foot, and keeps it in a plastic bag.

The softball team is losing two seniors, Kara Sarson and Martina Florido. “It hurts to lose [the seniors], but we’re still loaded with talent coming back this next year,” Hough said.

Volleyball

The Stars volleyball team has competed spectacularly in the regular season, following up on last year’s success.

“Their schedule is loaded with state and nationally ranked teams, so to get that far in the season is very impressive,” Hough said.

Amanda Hanneman served as Varsity Assistant Coach, and, according to Hough, was a valuable asset to the team. She also coached last year, helping the team to achieve second at State.

“It’s nice having that consistency there, and she relates real well with the girls,” Hough said.”She’s a great motivator and really getting to be a good volleyball coach.”

Senior Gabby Wimes believes Hanneman provides positive reinforcement for the team.

“Her positive energy makes everyone happier,” Wimes said. “It’s been a truly unforgettable two years with her around.”

Overall, Hough said he believed that all fall sports have been successful in relation to years past, and he has high hopes for years to come.