St. Joseph’s Society hosts father’s breakfast

The Father’s Breakfast is a way for freshman and transfer dads to socialize with other STA parents and get to know the parents of their daughters’ friends.

Fathers of freshmen and transfer students gathered in the Commons Wednesday morning for the fourth annual Father’s Breakfast. photo by Gabby Staker

by Gabby Staker, Staff Writer

Around 30 fathers gathered in the M&A Commons at 7:30 am Wednesday to celebrate a new chapter of their daughters’ lives–and drink coffee– at the fourth annual Father’s Breakfast hosted by the St. Joseph’s Society.

Co-founder Gary Smith has seen two of his daughters graduate from St. Teresa’s Academy and currently has a junior, Sloane  at STA. Smith says the society was started “to allow fathers to spend more quality time with their daughters while they were in high school.”

While the breakfast is predominantly for fathers with freshman daughters, invitations are also extended to fathers of transfer students.

“The breakfast allows transfer students, also, which is very important,” Smith said. “I’ve just talked with someone who has moved here from New York. I think it’s very helpful for parents who don’t get a chance to talk with those of us who’ve lived here all of our lives, to meet people, get comfortable with the school, and know the kind of friends their daughter is associated with.”

The St. Joseph’s Society’s efforts are not without reward. “We’ve had the largest attendance last week and this week than we’ve ever had in any previous years, so we’re very, very happy,” Smith said, referring to last week’s breakfast Aug. 23.