STA’s 150th anniversary starts off in celebration

STA is the oldest high school in Kansas City and will be celebrating its 150th anniversary throughout 2016.

STAs 150th anniversary starts off in celebration

by Alex Davis, Web Editor of Copy

The first day back from winter break, Jan. 4, marked the beginning of STA’s 150th year anniversary. A surprise assembly was held at the end of the day, and STA president Nan Bone made several important announcements of upcoming events for the month of January. A special mass in honor of the 150th anniversary will be held this coming Sunday, Jan. 10, at Visitation. Also, Bone announced that Mayor Sly James will be on campus Jan. 14 and will be formally proclaiming 2016 as the Year of the Young Woman. James will also be touring new STEAM classrooms as well as talking with the administration about the importance of STEAM initiatives for young women.

Along with these announcements, a commemorative video was shown featuring alumnae and students talking about STA’s 150th anniversary. Bone also mentioned that students will be able to share their own experiences and messages about the sisterhood on the official 150th anniversary website, as well as on social media with the hashtag #academy150.

The surprise assembly closed with a surprise dance party with a live DJ, 150th anniversary party gear, giveaway prizes and star cookies.

Visit www.academy150.org for more information about upcoming events and all things #academy150.