Bone invites students to hear future campus plans

Students gathered to view a powerpoint about new changes to campus and give feedback to president Bone and an architect working with the school.

STA President Nan Bone and Gould Evans architect David Reid talk to students about future STA plans. photo by Torie Richardson

by Torie Richardson, Editor-in-Chief

Today during activity periods one and two, STA President Nan Bone invited students to “learn about the future changes to the Goppert building,” as she wrote in an email to the student body.

During this presentation, Bone and Gould Evans architect David Reid presented a Powerpoint about the changes not only to the Goppert Center but to the Music and Arts Building and Donnelly Hall as well. The plans include expanding Goppert and other buildings and allowing teachers with classrooms in isolated areas, such as in the basement of M&A, to be relocated closer to their departments.

An image shows the preliminary floor plan of the changes to Goppert. The area enclosed in bold lines is the way Goppert currently exists. It will be expanded so that the front of a building will become square.
An image shows the preliminary floor plan of the changes to Goppert. The area enclosed in bold lines is the way Goppert currently exists. It will be expanded so that the front of a building will become square. photo courtesy of David Reid

Bone said most of these changes are expected to take place during the summer of 2018, but Reid added that both STA and Gould Evans will need to have “confidence in the funding” – that is, that STA will be able to raise enough funds to complete the project.

The main objective of today’s meeting was, according to Bone, to “give more information out and seek input.” Bone would like student feedback beyond today’s meeting, and said she will likely hold more meetings in order to receive as much feedback as possible.

To Reid, it is important to educate “as many people about what’s actually happening as possible” in order to dispel rumors. He also wants to “build excitement” both among students and potential faculty.

Before and after today’s meeting, Reid noted that all plans right now are preliminary and subject to change.