Personal Finance course to go exclusively online

Students currently are able to choose between Personal Finance and Online Personal Finance, but the course will become exclusively online next year.

Junior Laura Kieffer studies her Personal Finance notes on her netbook. photo compiled by Gwyn Doran

by Gwyn Doran, Staff Writer

Kayla Leatherman, head of the Digital Media department, says there are current plans to make the Personal Finance course entirely online for the 2016-2017 school year.

“You’ll have to take at least one class online in college,” Leatherman says. “The Online Personal Finance class will be a good bridge between a regular class and a college-level online course.”

St. Teresa’s currently offers both a Personal Finance and an Online Personal Finance class during the school year. Online courses allow students to work when it’s convenient for them, while still designating a period during the school day to talk with Leatherman if they have questions. If a student’s grade drops below a certain percentage, they are required to meet with Leatherman during that time. Students also meet in the classroom to take the test at the end of the semester.

“It’s beneficial because students get the experience of having to use time management to plan when they will complete assignments,” Leatherman reports, “but with the boundaries put in place by having opportunities for in-class questions or work time, if needed. There is a weekly deadline, for which students must be responsible for realizing what is due, and when.”

Leatherman notes she has had to work quickly on proposing the idea before she departs for maternity leave, but is optimistic about the plans.

“We want to make sure that STA students can succeed in an online environment,” Leatherman said.