Stop laughing at my conservative ideas

It is incredibly frustrating to have opinions actually laughed at during class discussions.

On a Monday afternoon, my college composition class is discussing our latest work, ‘Chronicle of a Death Foretold.’ Our conversation takes an oh-too-familiar turn when we segway from comparing our society to the one in the book’s, to analyzing our social structure.

Promptly, it is asserted that certain Kansas City families, members of country clubs and residents of Mission Hills are glutinous, greedy, haughty, racist and apathetic, publications like the Independent are egotistical and self-serving and the Jewel Ball is a repressive ritual, its only purpose to objectify women and provide yet another venue for well-to-do families to bask in their ‘awesomeness’.

Conveniently, we ignore the large charitable contributions that come from this class of people and events like the Jewel Ball. Along with the charities publicized in the Independent.

I look around the room and see some of my classmates becoming increasingly uncomfortable. classmates who are from well-to-do families, live in Mission Hills, belong to country clubs, and will participate in the Jewel Ball. Really, it is them that we are judging, stereotyping and scorning?

Finally, I speak-up.

‘Well, maybe it is just different,’ I say. ‘Maybe it is just a different way of life and just because it’s not the way you live or part of your culture doesn’t necessarily make it bad.’

I am thanked for my opinion by a chorus of scoffs, sighs, eye-rolls and, of course, laughter.

This kind of occurrence does not just happen in college composition on Mondays in period 8. This happens in almost every class, any day of the week, whatever period you please. Sometimes the teachers participate, other times they don’t.

On a regular basis, students who are more traditional and conservative are judged, labeled and scorned. While subsequently being pressured, and not unjustly so, to be ultra understanding and respectful of opposing views.

Yet, STA students and faculty who are more liberal have somehow been given the free pass to be as judgmental and critical of the opposing side as they want.

The truth is that STA has developed a double standard, and it should no longer be tolerated.

Many students and faculty members preach about how humanity needs to be accepting of all kinds of people and lifestyles, and then in the same sentence, judge the wealthy and/or religious or ignorant stereotypes. I have repeatedly listened to them bash on different views of virginity and religion while preaching the value of acceptance.

They dismiss my opinions, and make offensive comments that degrade not only me, but my whole demographic.

Don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful to have a community like STA that forces me to see issues in a multi-faceted way and allows me to explore other opinions. Because of this, when I am faced with an opinion radically different than my own, I have learned to hold my tongue, listen closely, and honestly try to understand the opposing argument.

All I ask is that you do the same for me in return. I’m sorry, but for those of you who believe all of your opinions are always correct, under whose authority did you become infallible?

Because the people you are judging, these upper class ‘elitists’, these ‘die hard’ Christians, these pro-life ‘repressors’ are your classmates, your peers and your friends. Respect should not be a privilege we chose to bestow only on those who in think the same way we do. It should be an inherent right that we grant to one another, simply because we are all human beings.

I am not asking for STA to homogenize its community, because our diversity is what makes us great. I’m only asking that we all become more open-minded. Just because that girl sitting across from you has a different view does not mean that she is ignorant, repressed or inept. She has as much right to her opinion as you do to yours; instead of laughing at her, listen to her. She just might broaden your horizons.