Hu La La

Senior Clare Odegard plans to begin a hula-hoop interest group at STA this spring.  Although this will not be an official club as Odegard originally hoped, students can still join this as an “interest group” according to principal for student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker.  Odegard answers a list of questions compiled by the Dart regarding her ideas on the group.

Why are you beginning a hula-hoop group?

“I think it would be a fun activity that a lot of STA girls would be interested in, especially those who are not as into sports.  I have talked to a lot of girls who said they would join the group if I started it.  It would be more of an extra-curricular type thing that would be pretty low key.

What is the objective of this group?

“A lot of people do not know what hula-hooping is, so I think it would be fun to introduce girls to it.  This would especially be good for girls who are not really into sports. It also provides girls with great physical activity.”

What will be done in this group?

“This group will be laid back and relaxing for students.  Members will just casually meet up in the quad, hoop and exchange tricks and techniques.”

When will this group be officially starting at STA?

“Hopefully this spring.  My biggest problem right now is trying to find a moderator.  After that, my next goal would be to get the gym or quad scheduled, so we could practice there.”

Who did you have to go to in order to get this group accepted?

“I first need to talk to Ms. Hoecker who is in charge of clubs in general.  I will then have to coordinate a moderator who is willing to advise our group.” 

Who would the potential moderator of this group be?

“I talked to [physical education teacher Stacie] O’Rear and she could not help me with this club.  She was already occupied during her free and activity periods with her physical education class, plus walking club and intramurals.  But, I have recently talked to [spanish teacher Carolyn] Hollstein and she said that she would be willing to be the moderator.”

Will this group be beneficial to student’s health?

“I do not think STA has a big problem with health, so I am not going to emphasize losing weight in this club.  This club will be just for fun, and students can still gain physical exercise while participating.”

Will you meet during scheduled club times?

“We will probably meet during activity or in the quad after school.  If it becomes something everyone likes, we might meet up at Loose Park on weekday nights or weekends.” 

Who do you anticipate being in this group?

“Well, I have been teaching some hula-hooping skills to my sports/fitness class and a lot of students said they would be interested in joining this group.  [Seniors] Libby O’Neil and Kristen Wieliczka definitely wanted to take part in the group and said they would help coordinate.”

What is your background in hula-hooping?

“My friend started making hoops, so I decided to buy one from him and give it a try.  I have been hooping for two years ever since.  I have taken a few classes, but I mostly just teach myself.  It is a pretty easy hobby to pick up on.  I try to practice every day, but I generally practice four times a week.  It is a fun, social hobby that I like to do at the park with my friends.”

How do you make hula-hoops?

“I make my own hoops and my collection is now at 20.  They’re pretty simple to make.  You start with a PVC pipe, shape it into a ring and buy tape to seal it and make a grip.”

Is hula-hooping considered a sport?  Are there hula-hooping competitions?

“Hula-hooping is not considered competitive sport.  It is more of a performance or act, like gymnastics, but on a lower scale.  However, there are hooping performances and hoop camps organized around Kansas City.  But, hooping is more community oriented than competitive.”