STA teachers share breast cancer stories

Breast cancer is a battle over 200,000 women in the US face each year, even some women at STA. Computer teacher Kathy McCarthy and physical education teacher Stacie O’Rear are breast cancer survivors. O’Rear was diagnosed with breast cancer in August 2002 and had a mastectomy with reconstruction to remove the cancer in November.

“[The hardest part] was the uncertainity,” O’Rear said. “Every time you hear the word cancer, you think death sentence.”

However, because the cancer was caught at an early stage, it had not spread to the lymph nodes, so chemotherapy and radiation were not needed.

“Breast cancer is treatable, but early diagnosis is key,” O’Rear said.

McCarthy also agrees early diagnosis is important. McCarthy was diagnosed with breast cancer in the summer of 2008 after a routine mammogram.

‘I had a biopsy and then they called me back in,’ McCarthy said. ‘ [The hardest part] was waiting for the diagnosis.’

According to McCarthy, the breast cancer she was diagnosed with was different than the situation a lot of women face. There was no evidence of metastasis, spreading of the cancer, anywhere else in her body. With many treatment options available, McCarthy chose to have a bilateral mastectomy, surgery that removed both breasts, to ensure the cancer was gone. Due to the isolation of the cancer, McCarthy also did not have to undergo radiation or chemotherapy to treat the cancer because the surgery removed it all.

‘There was no evidence of the disease [after surgery] – they caught it very early,’ McCarthy said. ‘I was very blessed that it did not appear I had [any more] cancer.’

Although McCarthy’s cancer was not very advanced and treatment was relatively easy, she still experienced an outpour of support from family, friends, coworkers, students and strangers. Her biggest support came through a close friend who had been battling cancer on and off for many years.

‘[She] was the first person I thought of when I knew I had breast cancer,’ McCarthy said. ‘I got her a bouquet of flowers and thanked her for her strength.’

McCarthy attributes a greater appreciation for life to her battle with cancer.

“[Cancer] makes you stop and realize what really is important,” McCarthy said. “[It] makes you put things into perspective.”

O’Rear agrees her outlook on life has changed after having cancer.

“You appreciate the little things more,” O’Rear said. “[You] don’t take life for granted.”

Battling cancer also led both women to contribute to breast cancer research. McCarthy volunteers with her sorority at the Susan G. Komen walk, and she tries to send cards to women battling breast cancer. O’Rear says she helps distribute an awareness mailing with information about breast cancer awareness and also donates money to Susan G. Komen, a non profit organization that raises money for breast cancer research through walks and donations.

After surviving cancer, McCarthy wants all women to be aware of the cancer, know if there is a family history of cancer and consult with a doctor about when to start mammograms.

‘I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance,’ McCarthy said. ‘It is better to be safe than sorry.”