Recruitment begins early due to parent requests

by MaryMichael Hough

Every year, the admissions department begins to reach out to local fifth through eighth grade girls in an effort to attract them to St. Teresa’s. Junior Maddie Torti believes the recruitment process has started earlier in recent years.

“I know that my brother and I both started getting letters around the same time and we’re two years apart, so that was really weird to me back then,” Torti said.

According to director of admissions Roseann Hudnall, previous experiences have caused STA to recruit girls at a younger age.

“STA, like most area high schools, provides information to families in our feeder schools and to families who contact us for information,” Hudnall said. “So we begin providing information to families once their daughter is in grade five because experience has taught us that a family wants information about STA when their daughter is about that age.”

[nggallery id = 883]

Admissions assistant Anne Flynn agrees with Hudnall and says that many families are contacting STA asking to be sent information at a young age in order to plan for the future.

“We start so early because parents request it; they want to know,” Flynn said.

High school decisions could affect future family plans, according to Flynn.

“[Parents] want to know where they should move and they are starting to base this off of what high schools are the best fit for their children,” Flynn said.

“Parents are very aware how important a great education will be to their children,” Hudnall said. “It is not unusual for families with children in preschool to contact me inquiring the best schools and parishes in the area.  They begin planning years in advance so that their children are well prepared for acceptance into the high school of their dreams.”

According to Hudnall, the Open House, the STA website, opportunities to visit campus like shadow days, athletic events, summer camps and brochures are all used to aid in the recruitment process.

“Knowledge is powerful,” Hudnall said. “By enlightening our prospective families about all STA has to offer, families have the information necessary to make the important decision about high school.”

According to Hudnall, many recruiting strategies have remained the same while others have changed over time.

“Each year we work to improve upon our events of the previous year,” Hudnall said. “So much of what we do in admissions has been done for years and years.  We just try to learn from the past year and do it even better in the current year.”

According to Torti, the mail and activities provided to her from STA were really influential to her deciding where to attend high school.

“I’m the only girl in my extended family in Kansas City so I totally had to start the process from the ground up,” Torti said. “I think the whole recruitment process is really beneficial to girls, and I know from experience that it actually matters.”

According to Hudnall recruitment is still necessary despite the recent growth in applicants.

“For the admissions department, recruitment really means providing information to families,” Hudnall said. “With each new group of eighth grade girls, we make sure they have the information they need.  In August, we begin the school year with zero applicants and one by one, families send in applications.  It is a never-ending process.”