Alumnae, faculty remember Sion rivalry

What is your favorite memory from the STA/Sion rivalry?

‘I do remember a powder puff basketball game at Rockhurst [High School] with [Notre Dame De] Sion. I don’t know exactly what happened, but someone from Sion pushed somebody and then it was like a little push back… within like four seconds it became a big pushing, fist fight, hair pulling… every single Rockhurst guy leaped out of his seat and was like ‘ËœYeah!’ It was bad.”

-Ms. Andrea Ways Newman, STA class of 1990

‘I was on drill team my senior year and there is an annual game at Rockhurst where the St. Teresa’s drill team performs and the Sion drill team performs. It just so happened we had this army of a drill team that year, so there were probably about 25 of us and Sion only had about 6 girls. [Sion] performed first and it was a little sad because Rockhurst booed them off the field. Then St. Teresa’s performed and they bowed down to us. So we won.”

-Ms. Margaret Coleman Goldsborough, STA class of 2000

‘I was a cross country runner and Sion and [STA’s] teams were pretty competitive. In our district meet one year, one of these really tall curly haired girl pushed me into a hay bale and then a tree. She pushed me into a tree on the course.’

-Ms. Brooke Kreikemeier Warden, STA class of 2000

‘[The rivalry] was most exciting in 2002 when Sion had a really good basketball team. STA won in double overtime with a last second shot. Everyone went nuts, the gym was packed.’

-Mr. Mike Egner, STA history teacher and former athletic director

‘[My strongest memory of the rivalry] has been within the past few years that our game fell on September 11. The Sion girls dressed in patriotic costumes and the STA girls dressed as first responder heroes. It was a great turnout and the costumes were excellent.”

Ms. Michelle Olson, Principal of Notre Dame de Sion