STA hosts first board meeting

STA’s first board meeting took place Sept. 22, where major topics discussed include chapel renovations and the possible addition of a track. According to president Nan Bone, the 19 board members unanimously approved the new provisions for the chapel.

“[The board] revisited the tweeks and changes the architects made to the building,” Bone said. “Everyone voted to accept those changes.”

According to Bone, the board holds many responsibilities, including voting on policy, setting policy and discussing and hopefully finding a solution for issues.

“It’s a governing board, not an advisory board,” Bone said.

The board is made up of alumnae, parents, a professor from Avila University and a construction company owner whose sister attended STA.

The board is also composed of multiple committees, which board members chair. These committees include finance committee, diversity committee, academics committee, mission effectiveness committee, institutional advancement committee, extracurriculars committee and facilities committee. Committees are made up of students, faculty and past board members.

Board Sub-Committees:
    1. Finance
    2. Extracurriculars
    3. Facilities
    4. Academics Affairs
    5. Diversity
    6. Institutional Advancement
    7. Mission Effectiveness

According to Bone, each meeting begins with a president’s report. Then, “new business” is brought in front of the board. And finally, the chair of each committee reports any updates to the board.

“The committees meet in the months that the board does not meet and then the committee chairs report on issues or positive changes they see,” Bone said. “The chairs also propose changes and the board discusses those propositions.”

According to Bone, the board is the first step to all major changes involving STA.

“If the board doesn’t approve something, the project won’t advance,” Bone said.

The board was involved in the recent changes at STA including the addition of PowerSchool and Netbooks.

“One of the goals [of the board] is to make STA a top technological school,” Bone said.

At the first meeting, the addition of a track was a major discussion.

“The board discussed the civil engineers drawing of a future track,” Bone said. “But it’s just discussion at this point.”

According to principle of academic affairs Barbara McCormick, the board is still focusing on the Capital Campaign.

“To be on the board you have to think longevity,” McCormick said. “We have to think about not only the young women at St. Teresa’s now, but the young women who will be here in five or ten years. The board has to consider the strategic long range plan.”

The next board meeting is scheduled for Nov. 17. According to McCormick, in the next meeting the Capital Campaign will continue being discussed.

“We need to continue moving progressively with [the Capital Campaign],” McCormick said.

Meetings this year:

1. Nov. 17
        2. Jan. 26
        3. March 23
        4. May 18