Seniors selected for national art exhibit

by Anna Bauman, photos compiled by Hannah Bredar

BaileyWhitehead

Three STA students’ ceramic artwork was selected to be displayed at the K-12 National Ceramic Exhibit in Milwaukee, WI from March 19-22. The exhibit is an annual juried competition that showcases the best ceramic work made by students from kindergarten through 12th grade from around the nation. It occurs in a different city each year, in conjunction with the conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts. During the week of the conference, professionals from universities, schools, museums and art galleries gather in the host city for exhibits, demonstrations and talks, according to the K12 National Ceramic Exhibition Foundation website.

Seniors Bailey Whitehead, Laura Dobens and Rachel Birchmier each had a piece of artwork on display at this year’s exhibit. Throughout the history of STA ceramics, six students have had artwork chosen for the exhibit, but this year marks the largest number of students in a single year to be selected.

“I couldn’t be prouder [of my students],” STA art teacher Lisa Dibble said.

Each year Dibble selects what she believes to be the best ceramic pieces to enter into the competition. The submission process occurs online, with teachers from across the country submitting their best student work. According to Dibble, a group of jurors made up of very successful, well known ceramic artists make the selections. Out of the thousands submitted, 150 pieces are chosen.

During the exhibition, privately funded scholarships are also awarded for outstanding high school seniors who plan to continue their study of ceramics in college. Whitehead won the Ernst Family Scholarship and Birchmier won the Bailey Pottery Equipment & Ceramic Supply Cash Award.

Whitehead said she was excited to win the award.

“Finding out your work is nationally recognized is a wonderful feeling that I’m honored to have experienced,” Whitehead said. “I like to think of it as winning state for artwork. Plus, the show was on display at a national ceramics contest so some of the best ceramic artists in the country could see my piece. That was a lot of pressure, but in a good way.”

Whitehead said she truly enjoys the art of taking an image or idea and transforming it into a tangible art form.

“The time and precision the entire process takes is so arduous that the end result is precious,” Whitehead said. “Ceramics takes commitment and practice, and I truly enjoy spending countless and mindless hours sculpting, throwing, trimming, fixing, remaking, glazing and then doing it all over again.”