STA chapel architects Gould-Evans plans for new chapel

by KATE ROHR

A groundbreaking ceremony for the new chapel is being planned for this fall, possibly on the feast of St. Teresa, according to Gould Evans design team principal Tony Rohr. He believes it is likely that the first aspect of the chapel to be built will be the expanded parking.

‘This will provide room for faculty and students to park when the construction messes up the site,’ Rohr said.

The design team – consisting of architects, engineers, contractors, school administrators, and many contributors – has been working on the final details of the project throughout the summer.

According to Rohr, they’ve been working closely with Zahner, the world-famous metal fabricators, on the design of the lace and how it will attach to the chapel.

The team has also focused on the new technology classrooms, working with audio-visual consultants about the capabilities of the new classroom environments.

‘We visited with STA principals and toured the new Staley High School to learn about their technology and laptop checkout program,’ Rohr said.

According to Rohr, the team is very excited about the project and hopes for the construction to be completed by the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year.

‘This project has roused the interest of everyone who’s touched it,’ Rohr said. ‘Many of the lead members of our architecture and engineering team have daughters at STA, and we all care about it very much.’