STA appoints school nurse

by Lindsey Valdiviez, photos by Katie Hornbeck

The STA administration formally announced that Mrs. Angela Sweeny has been appointed as a school nurse for the 2014-2015 school year. STA does not currently have a nurse on staff

In accordance with the fulfillment of the 2012-2016 Strategic Plan, STA addressed the need to promote “student wellness and support systems.” According the STA president Nan Bone, the nurse will take care of physical health-related needs as well as mental needs.

“We want to do certainly the regular school nurse kinds of things, but we are also looking for someone who would pick up some wellness initiatives with things like nutrition, CPR and work with our counseling team,” Bone said. “So if a student is coming to the counselors about an eating disorder for example, the counselor can give them advice, but the nurse can talk about nutrition and what you put into your body.”

Though the location of the future nurse’s office is uncertain, the vacant classroom next to the black box seems like the best location to Bone. She also thinks that Sweeny’s job will not be a full time position, but she would be at school every day.

Administrative assistant Julia Berardi, who currently acts as a health caretaker for students, says having to handle students with medical emergencies at school could make her feel uncomfortable.

“It didn’t really bother me unless it was something big like an allergic reaction and someone needed an epi pen,” Berardi said. “That was stressful, or if I needed to call an ambulance.”

Bone and Berardi both that having a registered nurse on staff will make parents feel more comfortable, especially those of students with serious illnesses or medical emergencies. Additionally, Berardi says she will feel less stressed with having to juggle her administrative duties and taking care of sick students.

“I think having a trained person is a good idea,” Berardi said. “I’ll feel like I can get my work done during the day, whereas now it is sometimes hard to keep up with sick people and calling parents and waiting on parents to pick their kids up.”

Junior Madeline Mullen, who has celiac disease, appreciates that STA has hired a school nurse, yet does not think that students’ regular day will be impacted at all.

“As a student with frequent medical issues I’m glad to see STA is hiring a nurse,” Mullen said. “However I don’t think it will effect me or the average student on a daily basis. But it will be nice to know if I am sick I have more than ibuprofen at my dispense and can get medicine that might prevent me from needing to go home.”

According to Bone, in interviewing candidates for the school nurse position she looked for someone who is both knowledgeable in the health area and welcoming to student’s personal issues.

“We were looking for someone who had a vision, since it is a brand new position at STA,” Bone said. “Like how would you make a relationship with students and build upon all the things from our background to what you could offer our students.”