English and speech teacher announces pregnancy

Kate+Absher
Kate Absher
by Gloria Cowdin

English and speech teacher Kate Absher announced her pregnancy to the STA community Jan. 13. Absher has been teaching at STA for two years and currently teaches English 1, speech, debate and competitive drama.

Kate Absher
Kate Absher

Absher is four months into the pregnancy of her second child and her due date is July 16. She does not know the sex of the child and wants it to be a surprise. Absher also recently told her first child, George, who is two and a half years old, that she is pregnant.

“He doesn’t really get it,” Absher said. “We didn’t tell him in a big way because he’s two and a half… I said ‘there’s a baby in here’ and he lifted up his shirt and said ‘there’s a baby in here’ and last night he was talking about the baby in his belly.”

As for name ideas, Absher wishes to keep that a surprise as well.

“We like old fashioned names,” Absher said. “As someone who’s been ‘on the other side’ a lot, it’s really fun not knowing [what the name will be].”

When Absher told her students about her pregnancy, they had a variety of responses.

“I was really happy at [my students’] reaction,” Absher said. “I knew they weren’t going to be not happy, but one group of students I told shouted and scared the bejesus out of me because they were so excited. Another group applauded and that made me feel like it was the sweetest response, but I’m not at all surprised that that was the response I got from St. Teresa’s.”