Administration allows student cell phone usage

by Torie Richardson

This year, students can use their cell phones during the five minutes between midday advisory and activity one. According to principal of student affairs Mary Anne Hoecker, this time was provided for students who might need to find a ride home on short notice.

“[The new rule was established] as a response to parent request and student need,” Hoecker said.

However, according to senior Mary Hart, this rule may not benefit all students.

“I think [the rule] helps some people, but I know that my parents both work, so they’re not going to check their phones in that five minutes,” Hart said.

Hoecker said that the rule won’t be expanded to passing periods or during lunch / activity.

“This is the best it’s going to get,” Hoecker said. “Cell phone use all day would be a disaster.”

According to Hoecker, it is also very important for teachers to enforce the rule. Students need to know that a teacher’s word “means something.”

“I think it’s important for teachers to enforce all our rules, and this is no exception,” Hoecker said. “Education comes first. Paying attention in class comes first.”

English teacher Carrie Jacquin is relatively strict with enforcing the rule, especially during advisory.

“I think the biggest thing is that we [as teachers] all need to try to do a better job of enforcing,” Jacquin said. “I think we see this with uniform policy. I think we see it with phones. Students are going to try to get away with what they feel is comfortable. As teachers, we’re charged with enforcing the rule.”

Depending on context, Hart can understand why teachers are strict with the rule, but it’s a bit annoying when teachers restrict phone usage during a student’s free time. During class time, however, it’s important that the rule be enforced.

“In the context of teaching, I definitely respect teachers who crack down on students who are using their phones,” Hart said.

The administration considered allowing students to contact parents during advisory time, but, according to Hoecker, “advisory is really intended to build rapport” among students.

Hart has seen girls be so interested in using their phones that they ignore the rest of their advisory, but cell phone usage doesn’t have to be all bad, according to Hart. If students were allowed to use cell phones during advisory, they could share content such as a funny picture or post on twitter with friends.

“It’s only a problem if you make it a problem,” Hart said. “It’s only a problem if you choose to use your device to isolate yourself from others.”