St. Teresa’s Academy students feel pressure to be Catholic

Sophomores Hanna Katz and Sarah Burchett laugh while getting ready for a morality test given by Mrs. Mary Jo Coughlin. Even though Katz is Jewish, she enjoys participating in class. Photo by Ellie Nachbor

by Ellie Nachbor

She sits awkwardly during prayer services and does not participate much in theology class. She does not know how to pray the Rosary or say the Hail Mary, but freshman Libby Stoops believes she fits in well at STA despite her difference in religion.

Stoops is one of many girls at STA who does not associate herself with the Catholic Church.

‘I don’t think the other students mind me not being Catholic,’ Stoops said.

STA holds a standard for ‘loving thy dear neighbor’ and upholds Christian values including accepting everyone, according to the STA Mission Statement. However, each student responds differently to the Catholic environment of the school.

Because not all girls at STA are Catholic, theology teacher Mary Jo Coughlin believes she has to teach with an understanding that many students differ in opinion.

‘I explain [to the students] that this is a Catholic school, but I do recognize that not everyone here is Catholic,’ Coughlin said. ‘I invite and encourage all students to participate in discussions to help us understand how the concept of their own faith works.’

She asks her non-Catholic students to use the concepts that the class is discussing to reflect on their own beliefs. Coughlin also teaches her students to think about their faith, Catholic or not, ask questions and gather information so they can make moral life decisions.

‘I’m not trying to make them believe, just to teach them and provoke thoughts,’ Coughlin said.

She wants non-Catholic students to feel accepted, included and not like outsiders.

Stoops is one of those students. She defines herself as having Christian morals, but she is not religiously affiliated. According to Stoops, there is an obligation to be Catholic at STA, but it has helped her become a better person.

‘I have always agreed with having good morals, but it feels like since I’ve come here people push [morals] more,’ Stoops said. ‘They are just expected.’

Freshman Grace Doran also agrees that the Catholic way of mind has influenced her as a Methodist at STA, but she does not feel pressured to practice Catholicism. Doran feels that she does not stand out at STA because she believes in many of the same teachings as the Catholic Church.

‘I don’t feel pressured into being Catholic because there are a lot of different religions, different views and different opinions at St. Teresa’s,’ Doran said.

Freshman Lena White believes that the many different religions and characteristics of the girls at STA help them not put pressure on her, as an atheist, to be Catholic.

‘I don’t think that anyone here tries to force their beliefs on others,’ White said. ‘They may pass judgment, but they don’t do it vocally. I think that is a sign of maturity.’

White feels that STA is very open to diversity. She thinks that even though STA is a Catholic school, everyone respects everyone else, especially their religions.

Sometimes sophomore Hanna Katz feels like she stands out being Jewish and at other times she does not. Katz believes that at some points she has felt pressured into being Catholic and at others, she feels no pressure at all.

All of these girls can agree on one thing, though: it is easier here to be who they are and say what they feel.

‘We all believe in being good and moral people and respecting others,’ Katz said. ‘We all think for ourselves and that is why it is so easy to have different beliefs at STA.’