St. Teresa’s Academy to consider forming cheerleading squad

by Lucia Maschler

Sophomore Claire McKeon practices her backbend in the quad April 15 in hopes of joining the potential STA cheerleading squad. Though nothing is planned yet, she feels cheerleading could add to the spirit of home games by pumping up the atmosphere and interacting with the crowd. Photo by Lucia Maschler

The zombie-filled crowd roars as STA scores another basket in the basketball game against Notre Dame de Sion. Various members of Spirit Club lead victory cheers at the bottom of the bleachers. Members of dance team stretch on the sidelines in preparation for their half-time performance.

And STA Cheerleaders wave their pom-poms and jump up and down in excitement.

These cheerleaders might be the future; athletic director Mark Hough has gotten interest from several students about forming a cheerleading squad. Though nothing is being planned yet, he thinks cheerleading would be a welcome addition to STA’s athletic program.

‘I really like what [cheerleaders] bring to home games,’ Hough said. ‘They bring a good atmosphere and work to pump people up. They would add organization and stability to what we already have at home games. It would be great to have [them], but things like this take a lot of time, effort and planning.’

Some students, like sophomore Claire McKeon, are already interested in joining the potential cheerleading team. She thinks a squad would be a great compliment to STA’s Spirit Club and dance team at home games.

‘Spirit Club focuses on themes and skits, which is unique and fun to our school,’ McKeon said. ‘Dance team is kind of like an art to be appreciated’¦but they don’t interact with the crowd the way cheerleaders would. Cheerleaders really get the crowd going and they could really bring the energy level up.’

However, other students have expressed concern for the dance team and Spirit Club if a cheerleading team is added. They like how STA is one of few schools in Kansas City who do not have a cheerleading squad.

‘I just don’t think cheerleading is for our school,’ sophomore Jasmine Colhour said. ‘The Spirit Club does a great job with themes and the dance team does a great half-time routine. We are unique and we don’t need a cheerleading team just to be like other schools.’

Do you think that STA should adopt a cheerleading squad?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Hough addressed this issue, saying that while the structure of the cheerleading team would be very similar to dance team-it would run two seasons and they would cheer at every home game for varsity volleyball and basketball-the roles of the teams would be very different.

‘I really like what the dance team does now,’ Hough said. ‘We wouldn’t want to take away from what they do, but cheerleaders are different from dance team. The cheerleaders would actually interact with the crowd. I think we would be able to work it out.’

However, this decision is not solely up to Hough; there must be many students interested for a team to be planned. He says the team would have to have at least twenty girls with a dance or gymnastics background to make a decent squad.

‘Anyone can come by and suggest something to be, which I have already have [had] happen a few times,’ Hough said. ‘I think a cheerleading team could turn into something we all really enjoy, but we will never know until we try.’