Spring, summer fashion trends

by Emily McCann

Black and White:

If you don’t happen to be a big fan of bold or bright colors, you’re in luck. A huge trend this spring and summer is the monochrome look. Pair black and white in stripes, zigzags, or bold patterns. If you prefer a more subdued look, plain black and white will do just as well.

• where to shop: kate spade saturday, H&M, and Forever 21
  • what to look for: most of us have a fair amount of black and white in our closets so look for accessories such as this bag or these jeans

Floral:

Bright floral prints were all over the runway for spring and summer. Even if the weather is bad outside, floral prints can make any outfit seem like spring. Try working floral into your wardrobe through bold pieces made casual with relaxed accessories.

• where to shop: J. Crew, ASOS, Modcloth, Free People.
  • what to look for: this bikini brings floral to the pool, try this sundress for a laid back look

Clear plastic & lucite:

It may look like you’re just wearing a clear trash bag but this season lucite accessories and clear plastic are one of the biggest trends. Wear it on a raincoat or carry a clear clutch. Lucite jewelry is also a great statement piece. It can accentuate any outfit and matches everything (obviously).

• where to shop: ShopBop, Etsy, or Polyvore
  • what to look for: try this raincoat (check out how cute this expensive trench is) or a lucite clutch or purse, try this cuff for a subdued way to wear big jewelry

Crop Top:

While the crop top is not for everyone, and definitely should not be worn to school, it has been a major trend so far for spring and will definitely carry over into summer. The crop top is making a comeback since its hey day in the late 1990s. Remember that you don’t have to show too much skin. A crop top with high waisted bottoms can show of just a sliver of stomach, making them easier to wear.

• where to shop: American Apparel, Forever 21, H&M, Nordstrom
  • what to look for: Look for different takes on the typical crop top. Try this this cropped tube top, or for something more relaxed look for a laid back burnout tee, for something more ladylike try this Anthropologie top or this lace number.