Juniors to compete in state history competition

story by Katie Parkinson, alternative coverage by Hannah Bredar

As a result of placing at the annual National History Day Competition March 2, five groups will advance to the State competition at the University of Missouri in Columbia, April 20.

“I, along with most of the STA girls who are competing are getting a hotel room in Columbia on the Friday before the competition so we don’t have to get up super early,” junior Isabella Nair said.

The theme of NHD this year is turning points. Nair will present a paper about the importance of the first Sears Roebuck catalog in the rise of consumerism. Junior Mary Grace Maschler’s turning point is about the importance of the Kansas City Fire Department in the development of fire departments. Juniors Cecilia Butler and Fiona Madden will show their documentary on the 1968 feminist protest of the Miss America Pageant, juniors Heather Cigas, Giggy Reardon and Molly Corless will talk about their website on the Lawrence Massacre, and juniors Paige Lankford and Madi Kintzle will present their Brown v. Board of Education website.

“I expect that the competition will be very similar to the first round I attended in Independence,” Nair said. “I think there will be an interview where I am asked questions about my topic. I really do not know what else to expect.”

According to Cigas, this interview could be more nerve-wracking because it has been a while since they turned in their website for judging.

“Though I’m not really expecting to go to Nationals, I’m super proud of my group,” Cigas said. “It would be totally awesome if we moved on, but State is good enough for me.”

Although not every group will advance to Nationals, there is still an opportunity to win monetary prizes.

“It’s kind of exciting to see if we may walk away with some cash,” Cigas said.

According to the Missouri National History Day website, competitors can apply for “special prizes” which can range from $50 to $150.

No matter the outcome, according to Madden, she is looking forward to the competition.

“[Cecilia and I] have put so much time and effort into the documentary, and we’re really interested in our topic,” Madden said.

Mary Grace Maschler’s project

Heather Cigas, Giggy Reardon and Molly Corless’ project