Love me Tinder

Adrianna Ohmes
by Caitlin Fletcher, photos by Adrianna Ohmes

Tinder is a new dating app mostly based on looks that has quickly become popular among teens. When you sign up you start seeing pictures of people on the screen, you’ll either click an x or a heart, that is if you like the picture that appears on your screen. If not you move on, scrolling through as many pictures as you like. If someone you give a heart to gives you one back, then you’re a match.

However, this isn’t the most unique aspect of Tinder. Tinder is a site that many teens use. However, some of the STA girls who use Tinder aren’t using it to get dates.

“It’s a fun thing to look at when your bored, like Twitter or Instagram,” senior Emily Reboulet said.

Reboulet has had a Tinder account for a week and already has had 180 matches, but doesn’t see herself going out with any of these guys.

“I don’t use the app for anything other than for fun,” Reboulet said. “I’d be too wary to actually meet up with a random guy who I don’t know that much about.”

Teens have heard about mishaps that can happen when meeting someone they have met online. However, according to senior Abbie McNaghten she never plans on meeting the guys she’s a match with on Tinder. McNaghten also thinks Tinder is pretty safe.

“I think Tinder is as safe as you make it,” McNaghten said. “You share the information you want, and the other ‘viewer’ is only allowed to see your picture and your first name. They are also only allowed to message you if you are matched up, and you can block them. No personal info is shared unless you share it.”

McNaghten thinks Tinder is a funny thing to look at, but the online dating site doesn’t actually make meeting boys any easier.

“It’s not an easier way to meet boys,” McNaghten said. “I think face to face, actual conversation is better compared to a dating app like Tinder. [Face to face] is more real and personal, and you aren’t judging the other person based on their looks.”

Unlike meeting someone in person and judging them based on their personality like McNaghten described, Tinder bases the judgement off of looks alone.

“I’m not really meeting boys,” Reboulet said. “I’m just judging them on their pictures, which sounds bad but is basically the whole premise of the app.”

McNaghten agrees with Reboulet that the app simply judges a person’s picture.

“It’s a bit egotistical, simply based on looks,” McNaghten said. “However, it is a fun silly app if you aren’t looking for anything serious.”

So, if you’re tired of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. both girls would suggest you try Tinder.

“I use it just for fun, it’s kind of like a game,” Reboulet said. “It’s just something new and interesting to do.”