Councilman David Morrison gives homeless man code to City Hall

Caroline Fiss
by Siobhan Miller, photo by Caroline Fiss

Oct. 27 to 30, 2013, Prairie Village councilman David Morrison gave his homeless friend, 36 year old Kelley Malone, his security code access so Malone could sleep in City Hall. Morrison was seen via security camera escorting his friend into City Hall on Oct. 27, 2013. The man was later found by Prairie Village police chief Wes Jordan hiding in the mens locker room on Oct. 30, 2013.

According to the Kansas City Star, Morrison and Malone had been friends for about 20 years beginning when they worked together at Maguire Mortgage. However, over a year ago Malone called Morrison telling him he was now homeless and needed help. Morrison put him in a hotel and bought him clothes for job interviews. He eventually got a job and was able to buy a house, but several months later, Morrison called him only to find the line disconnected. His friend had lost his job and house. Malone admitted to Morrison that he had started doing drugs again and was now dealing them. Morrison attempted to call multiple police stations, but Malone discouraged him for fear that gang members that he had been dealing to in those areas might be able to find him there. According to Fox 4 News, Malone told the chief that he feared for his life after being shot at on two occasions after his recent release from jail.

Right off of 77th and Mission Road lies Prairie Village City Hall, where 36 year old homeless man Kelley Malone was given access to sleep by Prairie Village councilman Dave Morrison Oct. 27-30, 2013.

Morrison commented on his friends statement in a letter to his fellow councilmembers, stating, ““I allowed a homeless individual to temporarily take shelter and sanctuary in the municipal building because, based upon his past statements and my personal knowledge of his past, I truly believe him to be in fear for his life. I thought at the time the safest place for him to be was in a secure building connected to the police station.”

Many Prairie Village residents were unsettled by the councilman’s open admittance to a homeless friend into a public center, creating a possible risk for other city employees. STA sophomore and Prairie Village resident Sydney Edmonds disagrees with the councilman’s decision to allow his friend to spend multiple nights in a public building. Fellow STA sophomore and Prairie Village resident Madeline Mullen agrees with Edmonds, stating that Morrison “abused his authority.”

“It was unprofessional of the councilman to give give his code to the man,” Edmonds said. “He could have gotten him a hotel room or let him stay at his own house if he was so worried.”

However, in a City Council ethics hearing, Morrison explained to the council that he lives in his parents house and because of his mother’s poor health condition, he wanted to prevent her from catching disease. Many Prairie village citizens were understanding of Morrisons reasoning, but disapproved of his execution.

“I think it was a nice gesture and the councilman had his best interests at heart but I don’t think it was right of him to let the guy stay in city hall,” Edmonds said.

Edmonds mother, Mrs. Anne Edmonds, recognizes Morrisons fault, but disagrees with the City Councils rare attempt to oust the councilman from his position.

“The fact that he allowed him to stay more than one night without finding another solution was irresponsible,” Anne said. “However, I think firing the councilman is an extreme consequence.”

The Prairie Village City Council voted Monday night to begin proceedings to remove Morrison from his position on the Council. The Council was given the options of either doing nothing, censuring Morrison or removing him after finding him guilty of two code of ethics violations. The Prairie Village mayor will now send a letter to the district attorney who, if in agreement with the council, will then allow the mayor to appoint a new council member, which will then be voted on by council members. According to the Kansas City Star, if the council finds him guilty, Morrison will be the first Johnson County elected official to be ousted from office since 1991.

In an interview with the Kansas City Star, Mayor Ronald L. Shaffer, who signed the letter requesting the Johnson County district attorney consider removing Morrison from office, Shaffer expressed his displeasure with Morrisons actions.

“I was appalled that someone would let a stranger stay in a city building,” Shaffer said.

Morrison apologized to the council and the public at a hearing on Nov. 19, 2013, acknowledging his actions as a “huge mistake.”