Administration discusses possible uniform changes

by Whitney Klump

Changes to the STA uniform by the administration has students talking about these possible uniform changes. These changes include a possible blazer option, elimination of white uniform polo shirts, and the new addition of the North Face-like fleece jacket.

Talk of eliminating the white shirt has come about because of the “dirty” appearance.

STA president Nan Bone

“By senior year [students] don’t tend to buy a lot of new [shirts], [they] just like that one that [they] wear every day,” STA president, Nan Bone said. ”Kind of like the skirt. It’s kind of tradition around here to keep the skirt for as long as you can.”

Though Bone isn’t sure if white shirts will or will not stay around, she is sure of how nice the black shirt looks. She stated that her favorite part of the uniform is the black sweater or sweater vest with the black polo.

Another option the administration has had discussion about is adding a blazer to the uniform. The blazer was a part of the uniform many years ago and discussion started back up among students when the Windmoor Center was built and added the display case featuring the blazer.

“It’s so funny that [students] want to wear the blazers. I love it!” Bone said. Bone also mentioned that the administration has not thought of any new uniform changes.

Recently, the North Face-like fleece jacket was added giving students the option to keep their jacket on after class has started. This jacket is in addition to the current options of the sweater, sweater vest, fleece vest, and sweatshirts on Wednesdays.

“We added the jacket because when the girls are going to class they have to take off their jacket unless [they’re] wearing a sweater,” Bone said. “This way, [they] can wear [their] jacket in class. So we just did it for [students]. If a classroom is cold and [students] want to keep it on, [they] can.”

With these changes and possible changes, brings new questions: how will the uniform keep changing?

“We’re open to ideas. . .I love our uniforms, and I think [ideas] should always come from the student body,” Bone said of changing the uniform.

Bone and STA principal Mary Anne Hoecker both stated that they wanted the student body to know not to shorten their skirts and keep them at the appropriate 3 inches above the knee length.

“I like having something picked out for me and not having to think about what I want to wear,” STA sophomore Shay Cummings said.

Cummings also said that if she could change one thing about the uniform it would be “that we could wear sweatshirts and hoodies”.