Seventh, eighth graders take advanced geometry

by Leigh Campbell

The administration has let two eighth graders and one seventh grader currently enroll in math teacher Diana Blessen’s advanced geometry course, normally a class for freshmen and sophomores.

“I really enjoy being able to see what high school is like at STA and in general,” seventh grader Janna Withrow said. “I also like being able to get ahead and learn something.”

Seventh grader Janna Withrow takes notes during advanced geometry teacher Diana Blesson’s class March 15. Jana is one of three grade schoolers currently enrolled in one of STA’s high school courses.

Currently enrolled at St. Elizabeth School, Withrow is the youngest student that Blessen has taught. After taking Dr. Joe Grantham’s morning algebra one class last year, Withrow continued her studies this year at STA. An eighth grader at St. Elizabeth’s school, BeKa Leuschen also took Grantham’s class last year. An eighth grader at St. Paul’s school, Lilly Horton is simultaneously taking STA’s algebra class and advanced geometry this year.

“It’s definitely harder being in an advanced class,” Horton said. “The pace is very quick. Some of the material is hard to understand at first. It’s nice to have Moodle to talk to the teachers about questions that I’m having.”

STA administration decided to allow Withrow and Leuschen to take the advanced algebra 1 during the 2011-2012 school year after St. Elizabeth School recommended it, according to Leuschen’s mother Tamatha Leuschen. According to Blessen, Horton enrolled based on a placement test.

“The biggest challenge about taking math at STA would probably be the pressure,” Withrow said. “Everyone expects so much from you. I basically had one drastic jump from seventh grade to this class. I never really had the chance to gradually experience the increase in homework and more frequent and challenging tests. I have learned to deal with it, but at first it was overwhelming.”

The most difficult part of the situation is communicating with the girls, according to Blessen. Because of STA’s changing schedules, they must check Moodle and talk to Blessen to make sure they get to class on time.

“Some days I have to work around the STA schedule to make up tests and classes that I missed during the time I am there for geometry,” Leuschen said.

According to Withrow, she got ahead in math because her dad taught her outside of school. Leuschen’s mom is a math teacher and also taught her math outside of school. Horton has had a tutor for five years that has helped her advance in mathematics beyond other students in her grade.

“What I like the most about taking a high school class is that I feel like I am learning at a pace that is great for me,” Leuschen said. “I don’t feel like the lessons are going very slow, but I also don’t feel like the classes are too rushed or complicated.”

Next year, as an eighth grader Withrow plans to take honors algebra II at STA. For high school, Leuschen is planning to attend Pembroke Hill School and Horton plans to attend Shawnee Mission East High School.

“I love all of the new girls that I got to meet in both of my classes,” Horton said. “They are all so nice and I was so sad when I chose [Shawnee Mission East High School] because of the amazing people I wouldn’t see.”