Weather conditions delay freshmen events

Picasa
by Hannah Bredar

Second semester alone, the freshmen class has had two events rescheduled. The first annual overnight freshmen retreat was scheduled for Feb. 22 but due to bad weather conditions it has been rescheduled to occur at a later date. The freshmen field trip to Snow Creek has also been rescheduled due to snow days. According to Campus Minister Joe LaScala, a lot of time went into preparing for the freshmen retreat and several people, including freshmen and retreat helpers, are disappointed that it has been postponed.

“[The postponement of the event] will help us make sure that the retreat will go off smoothly,” LaScala said. “When the retreat does happen!”

Freshmen are not the only ones that are upset about the delay of the freshmen retreat. So is the retreat team. The retreat team, made up of sophomores, juniors and seniors, put in a lot of time preparing a good retreat for the freshmen class. Retreat helper Suzie Fiss feels bad for the freshmen because they have had so many events rescheduled.

“I feel more sympathetic towards the freshmen because this is the third event being cancelled for the freshmen class,” Fiss said. “I think freshman year events are the most important because you really do get to know your new sisters.”

The retreat team is made up of two teams, the utility crew and the core team. According to Fiss, the core team and LaScala did most of the planning and work while the utility crew only had to attend a couple informative meetings.

During first semester, the annual freshmen mixer hosted by the STA Care Club, which was originally scheduled for Oct. 27 was postponed until Jan. 18 in the Goppert Center. The majority of freshmen may be upset that they have had three events postponed, but freshman Meghan King has different feelings.

“I am not upset [the retreat] got rescheduled because both original times I would not have been able to attend,” King said. “The fact that three events have been rescheduled this year does not bother me because we still get to go, so why does the day matter?”